Chapter 28

~Leigh's POV~

I stepped out of the shower and wrapped a fluffy towel around my waist. A smile made its way to my lips as I remembered that Oliver was coming over and we were going to dinner. Quietly, I stepped onto the mat in the bathroom. I wiggled my toes on the mat and walked into the room. As I walked into the room, I felt my lungs constrict and a burning feel spread through my body like a wildfire. I started wheezing and gasping for air. Each breath was shorter than the one before causing me to not get enough air. The burning made my limbs throb with pain and paralyze me at the same time. I stumbled to the bed and collasped on top. I thrashed on top of the comforter making little gasping nosises as I tried to force more air into my lungs. It was like I was drowining without being in water. Crying out, I hunched over gripping the comforter until my fists were white.  Combining the lack of air with my burning was all too much. My mind focused on trying to get air, but I was beginning to go numb. I was panting now, trying to get little bits of air into my lungs. But I couldn't. Black spots appeared in front of my face. The numb feeling that had originally started at my toes had made its way to my torso. I let all my mental walls fall hoping Oliver would rescue. Like the idiot I was, I was probably going to die. I'd blocked him out for so long, he probabaly doesn't check anymore. The pain was becoming way too much for me. Aiden was on a date with his mate leaving me alone in this house. I felt my warm tears fall down my face. I couldn't cry out or bare to move. I couldn't breath. The blackness was spreading across my vision. I prayed that I'd live though this, but if not I deserved this. I always screw myself over. Slowly the spots began to grow until I saw just black. 

~Oliver's POV~

My wolf was demanding I find Leigh. Exasperated, I rushed out of school and ran into the woods. Then in a leap, I shifted into my tan wolf and ran wildly to Leigh. I was anxious to get to her. My wolf compelled me to run faster and harder to my mate. I stopped in front of Leigh's new home and grabbed a pair of hidden sweats I kept around. Then I broke the door down in a rush to find her. I followed her scent upstairs. Quickly, I ascended the stairs skipping two steps at a time. Her door was locked. I jiggled the handle at first and prayed Leigh wasn't sitting against the door. In a burst of sudden strength from my wolf, I broke the door down in seconds. My heart stopped for what felt like years. I saw Leigh laying across her bed not breathing. I flung myself at her looking for a pulse. There was a faint pulse giving me hope. I called Liam through the mind link and within seconds, Liam was there.

" Where is she?" Liam demanded. 

Rosie clung to him fear in her eyes. We grabbed Leigh and reappeared in the infirmary. 

Leigh was breathing steadily again. The healer, Vanessa, had to tread lightly around me. I hadn't left her side yet and was snappy at the slightlest movement. Liam and Rosie were alone in the sunroom. Liam wasn't taking the scare lightly. I kissed her hand and wiped away a stray tear that had escaped. I ran a hand through my hair and looked out the window. The steady beep over her heart monitor was calming and reassured me that she was still here. Liam came in and I let out a low growl at him. Liam wasn't phased by me. 

" Oliver, go get clean. Take some time to eat and sleep. You look like death." he advised.

" I can't leave her." I muttered staring at Leigh. 

" I'll watch her and call you if she even twitches." Liam promised.

I nodded and got up. I showered and entered my room with the towel strung across my waist. The water felt good but my wolf was distraught and upset with me. I hadn't been there for her. If I wasn't late then maybe I could have saved her. I banged my head against the wall and growled softly. I was angry. With myself mostly. I threw my phone across the room and watched it hit the wall. The wall was dented giving me a small sense of satisfaction. Now something was damaged like us. Slowly, I got dressed. I threw on sweat pants and hoodie and laid in my bed. Sleep would not come easily to me. I laid in my bed staring at my ceiling. I counted the dents in my ceiling and the scratches. Then once that got tiresome, I closed my eyes and took deep breaths. Eventually, sleep found me and I was allowed a light slumber.