Chapter 21

I came home to Kris and Carly lighting up again. As soon as I touched the railing, Kris called me over. Slowly, I made my way over.

" Do it." Kris said holding out a blunt. 

I shook my head furiously. I tried to walk away but he pulled on my arm and held the lighter in front of my face. 

" I will personally light you on fire if you don't. I want to see if you can do it. You won't have to do it again. Unless you want to." Kris told me. 

I took it and inhaled deeply. It had been a while. I started coughing and clutching my chest. Kris howled in laughter and Carly chimed in with her throaty cackle. I started coughing and hacking even harder than before. Kris waved me away and I continued my coughing fit upstairs. My eyes were watering and it was hard to breath. My nose burned. I laid down on the bed and stared at the ceiling after taking a few deep breaths and drinking the sink water. I stared until the clock said it was midnight. I fell asleep crying and whispering to myself about home.

Kris decided I needed to learn something, so he got me a private tutor. I started next week, but tonight he called me in the living room to watch a movie with him and Carly. I sat at the edge of the couch quietly. Carly and Kris laid on the other couch snuggled up. Mid-movie, Carly went to the restroom. Kris got up and sat next to me. I felt his hands creep up my leg and move into my pants. I forced back tears and didn't make a sound. Scared, I tried to move away but he held me in my spot. I started to whimper. Carly came out and Kris was back on the couch. She resumed her spot next to him and continued the movie. At the end, the phone rang and Carly had to leave. As the door shut, I was pressed against the counter. I knew where this was going.

~Oliver's POV~

No more school. I have to stay at home. I'm struggling going up and down the stairs. Nothing can dull the pain anymore. I knew someone was raping as they usually did. The pain was unbearable and I felt stings on my face. He'd slapped her. I gritted my teeth in anger. I hated not being able to save her. I have no idea where she is in Seattle and I can't get her. I want her back. Slowly, I walked around and tried straightening my room. As I cleaned, I came across our Spring Fling pictures under a pile of trash. Tears welled up as I stared at her beautiful face. A tear fell on the paper and I wiped it away as well as the ones on my face. Before I knew it, I was crying into my hands crouched over in my chair. 

Days went by and I didn't leave my room. I couldn't bring myself to do anything anymore. The depression was setting in. I could feel hopelessness creeping into my thoughts. I dreamed for death on occasion. I was fighting to stay positive for Leigh. She'd be back. She had to be. Liam came in and tried to talk to me, but I couldn't bring myself to speak. After a while he gave up and sent in Jordan and CJ. I noticed Jordan's ring around his neck on a chain and it made my heart hurt. Leigh and I could've had that too. The stream of people coming in slowed down and nobody came in anymore. I left to use the bathroom and eat sometimes. My desire to eat or drink lost. And my will to live was soon following. 

~Leigh's POV~

July turned into August and it was mid-August. My hope was fading to get away from here. I haven't been home in 2 months. It's sweltering hot outside, but I'm still in skinny jeans and a hoodie. I only eat when I have to work. Other than that I don't eat. I've become skinny as a rail. Hungry was constantly gnawing at my thoughts. I was tryng my hardest to talk to him. I just had to.

Oliver? Oliver?

I heard stirring from him.

Oliver wake up. Please I need you. Please wake up. It's taken me so long to be able to talk to you.

~Oliver's POV~

-dream-

I walked around a dark house. It was smoky and I heard Leigh crying upstairs. I rushed up the stairs but something was holding me back. I was fighting it with all I had when it let go. Once I was up the stairs, the maze revealed itself. I used my smell to lead myself to a mahogany door. Leigh was on the other side screaming my name. I could feel her fear and pain. On the other side, I heard hear talking. " Oliver, I need you. Please help me. It's taken you so long to find me!" Leigh started scratching at the door when I heard a loud thump and Leigh's cries stopped. In my heart, I knew she was gone.