Chapter One

My dad and I moved Lupusville, Michican with one thing in mind. A new start. The town was warm and cozy. As soon as we arrived, I knew it was the type of place where everyone knew everybody. There'd be no keeping secrets in this type of place. By the time we arrived, I'd had to introduce myself eight times, talk about my hometown six times and how old I was seven. Most of the age questions ended in, " You should meet my....,".

It seemed like everyone here wanted me to meet somebody. I didn't like this town already. People were already looking at us. And nosey people notice things. They could notice the hand-shape bruises on my arm, or the long slash marks on my side. Or maybe the dead-look in my eyes that I try so hard to hide. Abuse could do that to you. My dad moved us to avoid the questioning eyes of people back in Chicago. Neighbours were beginning to talk. And my teachers were sending me to the socialworkers. My dad found out and we were moving the next day. After I got my ass handed to me. 

Sometimes I think my father hits me when he thinks of my mother. I look a lot like her. Or at least that what he yells at me and he slaps me in his drunken stupor.

We pulled up to our new house. It wasn't much. Three bedroom and two bathroom. It wasn't extremely large. I grabbed my suitcase and followed my father inside. I prayed that he wouldn't get drunk tonight. When Daddy had more than four beers, the abuse poured in. Vodka got me slapped and scotch was what got me the scratch marks on my side. I watched him drag his stuff upstairs and shut the door to the master bedroom. I glanced around. A spacious living room leading into a dining room that we'll hardly use. The house came furnished, so I didn't have to worry about buying furniture. When he wasn't drinking, he was alright. We spoke very few words to each other. I would cook dinner and he'd eat it hours after I'd gone to bed. It was the late nights when he'd thought about my mother after having too many drinks. 

I've run away. It didn't last long nor did it work out well. My father works as a private investigator for the police force. He found me at the bus station waiting for the first bus to Los Angeles. Daddy took me home that night and showed me the true meaning of pain. That was the night I thought I was going to die. He choked me and pressed his Swiss Army knife agaisnt my throat until it broke skin. Ever since then, I haven't run away. My father is crazy. But I had no escape. 

I unpacked my room and settled in by 5 PM. Sitting on my bed, I glanced out of the window. It faced the woods and had a small balcony. I guess my father trusted me not to escape. Grabbing my purse, I walked past his room and out toward town. I'd have to mark my path for school next week. It was the first day of my senior year at Lupusville Community High School. 

I walked into town and saw a Mom and Pop grocery store called " Benny's". There were a few boutiques scattered about. I walked into the gas station to purchased milk for tomorrow's breakfast. I'd do the serious grocery shopping tomorrow. Opening the door to the dirnkins, I caught a glimpse of a red Corvette leaving the gas station in the reflection. What was such a nice car doing in an area like this? I purchased the milk and started walking back home. The town was very rural and slow paced. It was oddly comforting. Chicago was always busy and it would be nice to slow down for once. Birds chirped on the trees around me and the grass was green. All we had in Brooklyn were dirty and trash filled skywalks. I turned the corner onto the pathway leaning up to my new home. Dad's car wasn't there anymore, so I assume he left to get acquainted with his new colleagues. Unlocking the door, I glanced around my front porch. Maybe this town won't be so bad. 

School. A six letter word that I came to love. Unlike the average teenager, it wasn't a prison to me. I enjoyed school. The reasons my behind this enjoyment? Not the best. I didn't have to worry about my dad's temper at school or the fear of getting another scar added to my rapidly growing collection. At school, I was safe. I walked up to the huge building. teenagers my age buzzed aroundthe front of the building. People were looking at me as I walked up. There were different groups like every high school. The theater kids, the geniuses, the popular people and the people like me. Normal people. We weren't anythin spectacular. I skimmed the crowd for a friendly face. Most of them stared back at me in confusion and a few in pure awe. I hurried in the building and searched for the main office. The secretary looked up and smiled at me. Her smile tapered into a confused look before brightening up agian. 

" Hello. You must be our new student. Name?" she asked.

" Adaira Mancini." I replied quietly.

She typed my name into the computer and printed out my schedule. Standing, the secretary wrote a few things on my schedule. 

" This is your ID number," she said pointing to a five letter PIN, " And that is your locker combo." 

I nodded and took the paper. 

" Thank  you. Have a nice day Adaira. Welcome to Lupusville High." 

I walked through the crowded hallways by myself. I could feel people looking at me. They must not be used to newcomers at this school. I searched the class numbers for B-9. I found it and walked in. A tall, broad shoulder man stood at the front of the classroom. He had on a dress shirt, slacks and a black tie. I nodded my head at him before taking an empty seat. There were a few people in the classroom. I felt their gazes on me as if it was a harsh light. I sat in my seat and hunched over. 

" You must be Ms. Mancini." he said.

I nodded my head again.

" Well, I'm your Economics teacher, Mr. Reynolds." 

I opened up my bookbag and grabbed my supplies. It was only Economics. The bell rang a few minutes later and a horde of students rushed in simultaneously. Everyone took their seats.  A redheaded girl came in laughing and snapping her gum. Her eyes met mine and she smiled. Immediately, she slid into the seat next to me. 

" You're the new girl." she stated.

I looked up and nodded. She had strange amber colored eyes. 

" I'm Dahlia Peterson." she said. 

I offered a small smile.

" I'm Adaira Mancini. It's nice to meet you." I replied.

Our Economics teacher droned on for the entire period about opprunity costs and trade-offs. I spent most of it doodling. When the bell rung, Dahlia grabbed my schedule.

" We have the next couple classes together. I'll take you there. Cool?" she asked.

I nodded my head and pulled my book bag over my shoulder. I followed Dahlia out of the classroom and into the halls. People were stared at us as we walked by. I glanced down at my top and felt around my mouth. Was there something wrong?

" They're not used to new students. We don't get them at all around here." Dahlia said as if reading my mind.  

" Oh." I said softly.

" So where'd you move here from?" Dahlia asked.

" Chicago." I replied glancing around. 

A tall boy with long dark hair and amber eyes similar to Dahlia approached us.

" Hey Nico! Meet Adaira. She's the new girl." Dahlia introduced.

Nico smiled at me and reached out to shake my hand. I shook his while replying with a warm smile.

" So you're the girl that has our whole school turned upside down. I have yet to hear a person who hasn't mentioned you. Seems like you've become a celebrity in this little town," Nico joked, " Anyway, where are you ladies going?" 

" Calculus." I said softly.

 His eyes lit up and he smiled at me. I noticed how tall her was compared to me. I had to crane my neck to look up at him.

" Same. I'll head there with you. If that's okay..." he trailed.

I forced a smile on my face as I nodded. I looked around the hallway as we walked together. Dahlia was on her phone texting as people moved out of her way. People were looking at us oddly. I tried to avoid eye contact and instead stare at the white linoleum floor. I watched my Converse slap against the floor along side Nico's huge combat boots. 

" So Adaira, how do you like it here?" Nico asked.

" It's okay. Not much goes on here does it?" I replied.

Nico smiled and shook his head.

" Things go on. You just have to know where to be. DOn't worry. I'll make sure you don't die of boredom in this drabby old town." Nico reassured.