Chapter 21

The scent of the newly-washed linens filled Kuroko's nostrils as she wakes up from her sleep. The brilliant light rays coming from the sky-colored curtain illuminates the whole white room. With her on her hospital bed, she feels peaceful and light, like she's been asleep on a cloud, with vast of blue and white blending around her; the feeling of being on heaven.

Slightly awake from her daydream, she wandered her eyes around the room, catching a glimpse of red near her left arm. It was a sleeping red haired young man, sitting on a chair, leaned down to his forearm near her left leg, facing her while holding her warmed hand with his'.

It warmed her heart to see the him beside her first thing in the morning. She sat up and stared at him, noticing every detail on his face. His relaxed eyebrows that made her feel nostalgic. His eyes are had slightly dark parts under them and are puffed than usual. His faintly parted lips that gives off warm breaths. And his sleeping face that makes her think of him as an adorable angel.

Without realizing it, she reached out to the latter's head, softly caressing his hair strands. His strands are soft.. Like a baby's.. She chuckled softly in the thought. The latter responded to the former's touch, making a low noise and opened his eyes.

"Good morning.." He greeted the teal-head with his hoarse voice. Eyes staring directly at her eyes, with his lips slightly smiled.

"Sorry.. I woke you up.." Kuroko said.

"It's fine. But, it would have been better if you replied my greeting." Akashi said, sitting straight on his back. "How are you feeling?"

"U-uh.." Still not used from the latter's choice of words, Kuroko stuttered. "I-I'm okay now.."

"Good." Akashi smiled at her. He cupped the latter's face and gently caressed it. "I'm sorry for putting you in such a situation, Kuroko."

His worried face made Kuroko guilty from being hurt from the accident. "It's fine already, Aka--S-seijuro-kun.. It's not your fault."

Akashi sat on her bed, released her hand that he has been holding all night long and leaned towards the latter. Kuroko flinched out of habit, making the latter stop and stare at her for a second. He proceeded on his intended action; fixing her pillow up and rested her back at them.

"You shouldn't push yourself too much."

"S-sorry.. Thank you." Looking down in silence, she was taken aback from the red head's act.

The latter sighed, making Kuroko look at him. "Seijuro-kun..?"

"I'm sorry, Kuroko." Kuroko looked straight at his eyes. A hint of guilt and sadness were there.

"There's nothing from you to be apologizing for, Seijuro-kun."

Akashi shook his head and stared sadly at the blunette. "You're scared of me, aren't you?"

"What are you talk--"

"Action speaks louder than words. Your reactions a while ago are some of the evidence."

Kuroko gulped and looked down. Silence enveloped both of them.

"Kuroko.." Akashi held the latter's hand, making her lift her head and take a glance at the red head.

Her eyes widen when the redhead suddenly held her in his arms, burying his face on the latter's shoulder. She felt her blood run to her face. "S-seijuro-kun?"

"I know that I've been a jerk to you. And I know that I've been hurting you." He breathed out, as if nervousness is pumping out of his body. This thumping sound.. is it mine..? Or his'..? "I've been insensitive and selfish, for a long time now. Ever since she died.