a little "distraction" (11)

I realized that I have this story's time period messed up. So, I'm going to explain the time of the year when this is taking place.

Cassandra's birthday was on 18th July and they got married after six months so that means that it was December. This story starts in January and since it's set in Australia it means that it's summer there too. 

In short it is January in this story.

I stand outside the palace as everyone piles back into their waiting cars. I'm standing a few feet away from William and his father. Molly walks over to me and envelops me in a hug but right before pulling away she whispers.

"Don't forget about what I said. I have my eyes on you."

She pulls away and gives me a fake smile before walking to her car and getting in with her brother's help. The moment her door closes the car at the very front starts moving and automatically all the others follow.

I heave a sigh of relief as the last of the cars go out through the gates.

"We should get going, we already put off that meeting once which is not going to do us much good." Ronald tells William as he hurries inside.

William and I follow him in and in the entrance hall a butler rushes forward and hands William his laptop bag which he swings over his shoulder like a school bag. In a matter of moments the king reappears with the same air of hurriedness and quickly walks out of the door.

"I should get going too." Will says turning to me.

I nod. "Okay."

He gives me a quick kiss and then hurries out after his father. I watch them through the open door as they drive away. With this I go back to my daily routine.

Helen sits in an armchair identical to mine, opposite from me. She has her nose buried in some papers and I try focusing on the budget papers I have in my hands but I just can't bring my brain to start working. After a few minutes I sigh and lean back before tucking my feet under me.

My phone beeps on the table giving me an excuse to lean forward and grab it.

It's a message from William, which says:

After what happened with Molly you deserve a little distraction. Be ready at seven.

I read the message twice and want to reply to it. But I decide against it because he must've been busy or else he would have called me too.

Setting the phone back on the table I turn my attention back to the papers. Before this I didn't want to work because I didn't feel like it but now I don't want to because I can't stop thinking about what William means by "distraction."

When the clock finally reads 6'oclock I sit up and put down the papers on the table and pick up my phone.

"I think it's enough for today. I have to go somewhere with William." I tell Helen.

"Of course!" She replies and starts gathering her papers too.

I get up from my seat and leave the study to go to my room. I dial William's number as I walk along and hold it up to my ear.

"Hey!" He greets me as soon as he picks up.

"Hi! I got your message. What do you mean by distraction?" I ask.

"You know any normal wife would've asked her husband about his day and how he was instead of jumping straight to the questions."

I scoff. "But we're not normal."