painful! (39)

This is a celebratory chapter since this story reached no. 8 in ChickLit! And it's prequel NO. 4! It wouldn't have been possible without all you my wonderful readers :) Thank you so much for making it happen!

----------------------

"This one is embarrassing." I exclaim as my eyes land on a picture of me with barely any teeth, smiling goofily.

"No, it's not." Mom says. "Trust me you'll find all of your children's photos cute."

I sigh and rub my tummy at the reminder. My water broke last night at three. Mom rushed me to the hospital and William joined us there. But after checking me, Aunt Maria said that I'll have to wait till my contractions got closer.

So, here I am now. Waiting. The only distraction mom could think of was going through old photo albums.

I flip a page only as pain shoots through my abdomen making me wince slightly. I take a deep breath and finish flipping the page. But I wish I hadn't.

It's a picture that the four of us took on our last Christmas together. Even without looking at her I know that mom has tears in her eyes. I hastily slam the album shut and ask.

"Are there any vegetables in the house?"

"Of course." She says, getting up.

I close my eyes and lean back against the couch trying to calm myself down. But before that can happen my phone starts to ring. Without checking the caller ID I hold it to my ear.

"Who is this?" I ask.

"Your husband." William replies.

"Oh! Hey!" I say, opening my eyes and rubbing them.

"Hi! So, how's it going?" He asks.

"Alright so far. Though, I wish you were here." I sigh.

"I'm trying to get work done as fast as possible. I promise that I'll be back in no time." William told me last night after we got back from the hospital that he had to fly to Sydney for a meeting with... I don't know someone who's name I forgot.

"Is the meeting over?" I ask him.

"Nearly. He had to take a call, so I decided to make one if my own." He replies, making me smile.

I wince as pain shoots through me again.

"Are you okay?" He asks, concerned.

"Yeah. They were ten minutes apart and now six to seven minutes." I reply.

"I want to be there for you right now." He sighs.

"Just hearing your voice makes me feel better." I say.

"I'll call you again as soon as I'm ready to leave." He tells me. "Take care of yourself. I love you."

"Love you too. Bye."

"Bye." He says hanging up.

I look up to find mom standing beside me with a plate in her hand.

"William?" She asks, handing it to me and sitting down.

"Yeah." I reply popping a piece of cucumber into my mouth and chewing.

"He should be here with you instead of me." She says, twiddling her thumbs.

"Mom, he wants to be but you can't expect him to choose me over an entire country." I protest.

"He did once. Why not again?" She says, getting up.

"What do you mean?" I ask, but I already know the answer.

"Finish eating then go take a hot shower it'll help." She says, leaving me alone.