happiness and sadness are opposites (40)

Cassy, Will and I wish you a happy new year! :) You guys made 2015 amazing for me :)

---------------------------------------------

I open my eyes slowly and the blink to give them time to adjust to the light. My head is propped up on pillows. The first thing my eyes land on are pink and blue balloons over my head. I shift slightly and my eyes land on the face I want to see.

William's sitting next to my bed with his elbows propped up on it. It seems as if he was watching me sleep.

"Hey." He says, leaning forward and taking one of my hands. The one without the drip sticking out of it.

"It's over." I whisper.

A smile spreads over his face. "You lost consciousness before finding out about the second baby. It's a boy. Congratulations!"

I smile back at him.

I have twins!

I have a daughter!

I have a son!

I'm a mother!

A very happy mother!

"Where are they?" I ask him. "Have you seen them?"

He nods his head. "They're in the nursery. I've seen them and held them. It's an amazing feeling. I mean, I held them both separately because I was afraid I'll drop one if I hold them together."

This makes me laugh. "When can I meet them?"

"They're eagerly waiting to meet their mother. We were just waiting for you to wake up. Shall I have Dr. Maria bring them in?" He asks.

I nod. "Yeah."

He gets up from his seat and leaves the room. I take a deep breath and try to lessen the smile on my face but I can't. I feel like I'm going to burst with happiness.

The door opens again and William reenters, followed by Aunt Maria who has a tiny bundle of pink blankets in her hand.

"Congratulations, Cassandra!" She says, as she nears my bed.

"Thank you." I smile at her and then hold out my arm like a little child reaching for candy.

"Here you go." She says, slipping the bundle into my arms.

I can tell that it's my daughter since I saw her earlier. She has her eyes closed and hands clenched in tiny fists. I touch her arm and realize that it's the softest and most delicate thing I've ever touched.

It's almost the same as holding a doll. The difference is that the one in my arms is breathing and is slightly larger than the average dolls. I carefully shift her slightly, before looking back up at the doctor.

"What about...?" I start to ask but she knows what I mean and says. "I'm going back to get him."

With this she turns on her heal and walks out of the room to bring me my son.

"I can't believe we're actually parents." William says who's back in the seat next to my bed.

"Yeah." I reply, smiling at him.

He smiles back at me for a minute before leaning forward so that our lips meet. I take away a hand from under my daughter's blankets and press it against his face. He leans forward even more, deepening the kiss.

"I love you so much." He says, pressing his lips to my forehead.

"I love you too." I tell him and sigh.