Between Love & Deception (Prologue)

Prologue

            “Samantha Jade Smith, it would be my honor to take your hand in marriage.” My gaze shifted down to Carter Nash’s hopeful eyes and I suddenly wanted to cry. Everything was practically being handed to me, and I still wasn’t happy.

            I stood there in the dark, in the middle of Central Park, watching Carter as he bent down on one knee and took my hands into his own. It took everything I had not to place my tears with laughter. Carter Nash, All-Star pitcher for the New York Mets wanted to marry me? I know, I know. Carter and I have history. If it weren’t for him all those years ago, I would have never made it in New York City. His persistency and loyalty was practically the only thing that had kept me going way back when.

            It wasn’t the first time he had done something like this. The first time we were in the middle of a 5-star restaurant with paparazzi standing around taking pictures of him putting the rock on my finger. Soon after that, we were front page news of all major magazines since Carter was named in the top ten hottest bachelors of New York City in Cosmo this year.

            I’m not going to lie. Of course, Cosmo’s accusations were correct. Carter had totally climbed to the top of the ladder from the bottom. At first, he was just a pitcher for NYU but after he graduated he was offered a try out for The New York Mets, where soon he became the star player for a Major League team. After that, Carter started making bank and got more and more popular every day.

            This is why I think it’s so funny. Yes, I had gotten pretty popular myself as an independent writer but I wasn’t anything like Carter. He had swarms of women throwing themselves at him, begging him to marry them but he picks me?

            I wasn’t anything like these other women. Yes, I was in fact very successful but I had baggage. Why would he want to marry someone with baggage?

            “Carter, we have talked about this before. I am not ready for marriage. I’m not ready to bring a man into Beau’s life right now. He doesn’t know what it’s like to even have a father figure, and I don’t want to overwhelm him.” I explained clearly.

            Of course, I loved Carter. I did everything with him. We went on dates, he came to my reviews, I went to his games. You could call it dating, but after five years it became something different. Carter and I had a bond like no other; I was there for him just like I knew he would always be there for me.

            The thought of marrying him though scared the crap out of me. I didn’t want to get into something I couldn’t get out of, I mean, if I decided I wasn’t in love with him. I knew I loved him, but as for being ‘in love’ I wasn’t sure.

            “Samantha, I want to be his father though. I want to teach him the things I know. I want to show him what it’s like to have a father figure.” Carter’s words flew all over me, I wasn’t sure how I would feel about Carter becoming Beau’s dad.