Between Love & Deception (Chapter 12)

Chapter 12

Day two

            It was my second day back home, and I can’t help but think it hasn’t been as bad as I thought it would. I know, it’s only the second day but still. I had the impression that the moment I got here everything would blow up and be horrible.

            Surprisingly, the vacation hasn’t been such a drag. It’s almost been…nice.

            Beau and I decided to meet Emily for an early lunch since I would be spending my whole day with him. We were meeting at a little café downtown right beside Emily’s boutique.

            “I am so glad you guys came!” Emily said when I spotted her on the outside porch of the restaurant.

            “Oh, us too.” I said, as I greeted her. I watched as Emily eyes Beau with curious eyes and then she smiled up at me. I knew that she had caught on to something last night, but I didn't think she would still be wondering about it today.

            That’s the last thing I need.

            “Why didn't Carter come along?” Emily asked out of nowhere. I looked up at her confused.

            “He is staying at his parents while we are here.” I stated. I know, it seemed odd that my fiancé isn’t staying with me, but it shouldn’t be a reason for her to think it’s all a scam.

            Emily nodded, giving me a serious look and then I looked to Beau, who was peering at us looking bored. She laughed, and so did I. “Hey Beau, why don’t you go inside and play with the video games?” Emily said, as she waved a five dollar bill in is head.   

            I laughed nervously, unsure if I wanted him going in there alone, unsupervised. Beau is devious, he gets into things.

            But, I ignored it when I saw him jumping with excitement. “Only for a few minutes baby.” I said.

            Moments later, we watched as Beau was running inside almost running over everyone in his pathway. Emily and I both laughed, “You seem really happy.”

            Did I? That was random. I am happy with Beau, but otherwise I can’t say that I am. Before I could say anything Emily was talking again.

            “..But something seems a little off, with you and Carter.” Emily continued.