Between Love & Deception (Chapter 39)

Recap-

              I swallowed hard, as I looked back to Beau who was still lying there unconscious and then I looked to Samantha who was now turned facing the other direction. I am pretty sure she was just trying to hide her tears though. The tears that I don’t care anything about. She is still wrong; she still should have told me no matter what.

            I gave one more soft squeeze to Beau’s hand and then kissed him gently on the forehead. I didn't bother saying anything to Samantha who was still facing the other way. I just walked out of the hospital room, with the intentions of never going back. Never seeing her face or his again.

Chapter 39

Samantha

            I sat back into the chair at the Starbucks that was located a couple of blocks away from my home in New York City. As I glanced down at my watch, a slight gust of air hit me in the face and I looked up at the sky; summer’s turning into fall, I thought. I looked down and smiled at Beau who was sitting on the ground playing with his Tonka trucks and making the sounds to go with them. He still doesn’t understand. Every morning he wakes up and asks for his daddy, and I have to tell him that daddy isn’t here. But I always fail to mention that he will never be there.

            Four months. Four months since I had heard one word from Danny, of course he would send me checks in the mail every month but I would just rip them up. It had been four agonizing months of Beau waking up every single morning asking when daddy would come for him and be with him. And I still couldn’t get the nerve to just tell him that daddy would never be there for him. The morning he woke up in the hospital still haunts my dreams completely. I remember it perfectly. Though, some mornings it bothers him or than others. Some mornings he will cry his little eyes out and ask my why his daddy isn’t there and why his daddy doesn’t love him.

            I swallowed back the tears that had started gathering in my eyes, and looked down to him as he looked back up at me and smiled. One day he will resent me and hate me for what all I have done, but right now he keeps the same old perky smile on his face. Just waiting for his daddy to be there for him.

            “Samantha? We are so sorry, we meant to be here earlier!” I peeled my eyes from Beau to look up at Emily and Carter standing there in front of me. I smiled sweetly, just wondering when it would be my turn to be happy. Once everything died down at home, Carter, Beau and I all made our way back to New York. Though once we got to the airport Carter had a surprise for all of us. Emily. He said he planned on moving her here with him, because they had fallen so quickly for each other.

            I smiled, as I watched their fingers that were entwined together. “It’s okay, Beau and I were just enjoying the day.” I said, quietly. Any other time I would have been jealous or weirded out at the fact that Emily and Carter were now together, but just looking at them and seeing them smile at each other made me extremely happy for them.