Graduation

Graduation.

Even after all the stuff I've been dealing with recently, I reminded myself over and over again that this was really my day.

I was beyond happy at this part of my life, I shockingly survived college. All the extra things that I had to do seemed like I was in some drama filled show. But I did it, and honestly I am just glad I finally woke up.

"Marshall, Nala Marshall."

I cheesed as I heard all of my friends and family scream my name in the audience. I stood up from my thin metal seat and walked through the many waves of other college graduates. The ceremony has already been going for fours hours and they just just now got to the Ms. But I would sit through this boring ceremony and many more if I finally had my degree in my hand.

When I finally made it on to the stage I was actually able to spot all the people I invited to my graduation. I didn't invite everybody, but I did invite the vital people in my life.

But anyway I shook hands with my Dean and president and grabbed my degree before making my way back to my seat. It seemed like years before the ceremony finished and I was finally able stand up again and find my guests.

I called my dad hoping that he was already out in the parking lot. As I waited for him to pick up I felt someone tackle me, I shrieked realizing it was just Amelia and Crystal. They were just as happy as me if not happier, the auditorium that we were in was roaring with voices and people spilling out.

"WE DONE BITCH! WE ARE DONE!!" Crystal hollered in my ear, we all laughed trying to walk out together. I was in the middle while they walked on either side of me.

"Daamn I need a drink!" Amelia complained when we stepped onto the outside pavement. "When does this little party of yours start Nala. I got an over night babysitter and all for tonight!"

I laughed letting go of them, as sort of a last minute decision Amelia talked me into having my party at a hotel. I had already did too much planning and invited people over to not "go through with the plan" as she said. Which was true, I wanted to finally have fun for once anyway, with my own connections.

"Nala, ain't that your dad?" Crystal asked, looking at a tall black man with a bouquet of flowers. We were too far away to see, but shortly after I noticed him pull out his phone and my phone immediately started buzzing.

"Yea, I'm going to catch up with you later guys. Go find your parents or whateva." I joked running off, I ran over to my dad hoping he wouldn't notice me yet. I wanted to tackle him to the floor since all of this wouldn't be happen if it wasn't for him to begin with.

If it wasn't for him giving me the chance to move to California at such a young age I probably would be spending my graduation at some dry city in Texas with no real life experience, or no start up job.

When I finally reached him I jumped into him and giggled out in joy. He hugged me back and I was really happy at this moment, all that shit in the past seemed to evaporate at this moment. Like any other intimate moment I had with my loved ones.

"Nala, Congratulations baby! You are now a free woman!"

"Thank you, daddy!"

I continued to squeeze him, not even caring about the bouquet that he had for me. My dad just pulled in this morning just for my graduation, he was one of the six people that I actually invited.

When I finally let go of him, I realized that my phone was blowing up from my friends and family that came. I pulled it out and looked at my screen.