18

– Anna, come here!

Barbra was whining of excitement after her sister had arrived school.

– Hi BaBa, I brought this for you!

Anna was showing a drawing full of glitter and pink. It was a giant heart. Barbra's eyes were sparkling. The blonde girl explained:

– The teacher asked us to do a pretty drawing today, I made it for you!

Barbra was holding the draw as if it was the most precious thing on the world, and she carefully kept it somewhere safe.

Anna had thrown her things anywhere and followed her sister, singing a silly song. Jenna, who had picked up the girl at school, was now screaming to her daughter fix the mess.

– Come on BaBa, let's play!

Barbra liked to play with dolls, so did Anna, but the older girl rather adorn them than play with it. Normally Barbra plays what Anna wants. Playing ball, run around, seek and hide... She was more active.

– Anna won't you get me ready?

She smiled at her sister. Anna's favorite doll was Barbra. She loved to braid her hair and put some weird, but for them it was perfect, makeup on.

Barbra was delightful with any attention Anna gives to her. She idolized her.

– Barbra stay still!

She had made an awkward face when Anna called her that. She was scared that Anna was mad at her.

– Don't call me this way.

She complained. Anna knew it, and sometimes she enjoyed provoke her sister a little. Anna was 6 at that time, and they were BFFs.

***

It was a year late.

Anna was helping Barbra to get ready, she always asked their mom to make them wear similar clothes, and then she fixed Barbra's hair to look like her.

In this period of their lives they were too close, and this year Barbra was already in school, her first year going, and she cried a lot when she noticed that going to school with Anna didn't mean it stay with her.

Barbra was always a little more shy, while Anna needed to be in the center of everything. At the beginning the blond girl always forced her sister to come along, but Barbra wasn't outgoing so people moved their eyes to Anna. At that time, Barbra didn't mind. What she truly loved was to see how hard her sister always tried to convince her to go.

But Anna didn't realize. Passed a few months, she started to be tired of spending time trying to convince Barbra, and stopped inviting the little girl.

Barbra was a little hurt by this attitude, and Anna was always so absorbed on telling stories and performing a show and everything else, that she couldn't notice.

That's when Barbra began to think that Anna didn't like her that much. She was used to people – even her classmates – asking about where were Anna, and never wanting more than a superficial talk with her when the blond was around.

At home, Anna was attentive as always, which made Barbra very confused. With the time passing by, the girl had started to think that Anna liked them to dress and look the same so Barbra wouldn't stand out of her. So she refused to do it again.

Anna didn't understood and was hurt by this. At first, Barbra started to wear sparkly clothes and really weird headbands, and Anna always made fun of her about it.

Later she started to dress more compatibly with her personality. The girls started to be away and eventually they were no long close friends. Anna reacted to it by teasing her sister, who took that as an attack.

When Barbra was eight it was the definitive point to the beginning of this entire situation.

It was her birthday, and she was very excited about it. Everything was perfect. Anna had spent most of the party in her room, because she was sick, so everybody was all eyes for Barbra.

Until Anna's godmother arrived. She was bringing two presents. One was for Anna, and the other one to Barbra. It was fine, she always did that. The real problem was opening the presents.

Anna's godmother had convinced her to go out of the room, and now both girls were opening their gifts. Anna had won a Barbie doll and Barbra had won a boring grey shirt. To the woman everything was ok, but even Anna felt bad for Barbra, who was crazy about these dolls. And it was her birthday!

The only thing that stopped Anna switched presents with Barbra, was the furious look she was receiving from her. To all normal people, this isn't a good reason. But to an 8 years old, it's quite a problem.

After that day, Barbra tried her hard to be perfect, an A student, best daughter, best friend, best everything. That's where Anna started calling her Boring B, because she never wanted to do anything dangerous or fun, afraid to lose her immaculate reputation.

It's not as if Barbra didn't have any friends. She did, she was a great person to everybody else. But she wasn't as popular as Anna. She had to fight for everything, while to Anna it seemed very natural.

So she had spent her life being overshadowed by Anna's charisma and thinking that her sister wanted all the attention to hurt her. The feeling of betrayal was mutual, but while Anna got over the fact, something inside Barbra's head wouldn't let her do the same. Jealous and resentment has been Barbra's best friends.

_________

So, I hope you liked the chapter, if you did, leave me a comment with your opinion or vote to make a golden star! <3

See you again on Saturday!