Prologue

Before you start this book, I just want to say thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for all the reads and comments. I wrote this book when I was thirteen, and now turning twenty, my life as a reader, a writer, and a 5SOS fan has been impacted so much by Wattpad. As cringe as it sounds, the numbers continuously going up and up made me feel so confident in myself. Reading this now, with fresh eyes and a better grasp of grammar, I am so happy my stories exist. 2,000 views is something I never expected. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I am glad we can all agree that Calum Hood is one hell of a man. 

- Artemis

April 22, 2015

Uneasily, I weave my way through a crowd in the hotel lobby. Camera flashes, screaming, and shoving; The security guards try to push me to the elevator. Finally, Ella's security guards lead me up to the elevator to of the fancy hotel in London. I press the button and smooth out my shirt, letting out a huff of exhaustion.

"Do you want me to hold your suitcase?" One of the guards grumble with an Australian accent.

"Oh, I can hold it," I respond with a nod.

"Please, make me look like a gentleman," He says back, taking it out of my hands. I faced forward and gave the elevator door a dirty look.

The other guard took my carryon backpack, even though I didn't want him to. They both insisted. I felt more violated than flattered.

The paparazzi and screaming fans in the lobby were a new scene to me. Either Ella's super famous or the guys she's met were super famous. Probably my best friend. She always attracts people.

Ella was my best friend of about ten years now. We met in second grade and stayed friends ever since, even when she left home about a year ago with a record deal. She worked hard to the spot she was in, topping charts with her music in many different countries. We both dreamed of it, but I guess she just worked a little harder than me.

I'm still stuck making money from YouTube and the gigs I get around back in our hometown.

Ella didn't even finish high school she left so early. I graduate in two months, and today's my 18th birthday, so I decided to spend it with her in London, along with meeting this band she's been hanging out with, 5 Seconds of Summer.

They played guitar music, which I appreciate. Ella told me that they have a lot in common with us. Ella and I never fit in with our taste in Alternative and Pop Rock music, so I'm looking forward to meeting these guys.

The elevator doors open and one guard steps in front of me and the others falls behind me. My heart thumps still from the rush of fans, and from excitement since I would be seeing my best friend.

We come to the door and the first guard slides his key card through, opening the door. The guard's thick posture makes it hard for me to see at first, but when I come im behind him, the hotel room is gigantic, filled with four other guys staring at me.

I see a quick movement from the corner of my eye and end up practically being tackled in a hug. I chuckle and grip Ella tightly back. From our small height difference, my head rests on her shoulder.

I notice she's still the same Ella I knew from the small town in California. She still has her shoulder-length brown hair and a clingy, but cheeky, persona.

I sway us side to side, still in a hug.

"Rose!" I choke out. I'm nearly getting suffocated by her hair.

"Don't... Call me... Rose," Ella equally chokes out since I'm gripping her so tightly.

Her middle name was Rose, so I teased her about it because she hated it.

We disconnect our hug shortly after.

"Happy birthday, Kayla!" Ella says with a grin on her face. Her smile makes me smile too. I also almost forgot about my birthday. "I bought you something."

"You didn't have to..." I say but Ella's eyes grow wide.

"I insist. No returns. But I'll give it to you later, it's in our room," She shakes her head.

"Okay," I give in, knowing that Ella gets excited about things like this. I look over her shoulder to the guys scattered around the room. Two in the kitchen, one on the couch where Ella sat and another on the other side of the room.

"Are you going to introduce me to your friends?"

"Oh yeah," Ella snaps her fingers.

The guy from the couch with black skinny jeans and dark brown hair is the first to stand up and walk over to me.

I do notice that he wears a nice smile as he walks towards me. When we're right in front of eachother, I have to tilt my had back to actually see his face. Can the world either shrink or can God bless me with a couple more inches in height? He politely extends his hand.

"My name's Mikayla," I say and take his hand in mine.

"Calum. I heard you play bass?" He shakes. Oh yeah, he's the bassist. I remember now. He has an accent, and I also remember that they're Australian.

"I heard you play, too. Yeah?"

"Yeah," Calum continues to smile. I don't know why, but I like this guy already.

"Just a little?" I slightly tease, since he didn't give me a full answer.

"Just a little." Calum confirms.

--------------------------

Prologues are my faves.