Chapter 20:

September 2022

How would I describe 2022, you ask? Let's start with: exhausting, stressful, and musical.

I worked on my album from January to March, releasing my first single off the album, "Hypnotic" in mid-April. The single brought it lots of attention, earning a couple TV interviews and internationally aired performances. Becoming a serious musician was just one door down for me.

Throughout this time, I longed for many things: Like a girl's day with Ella (without paparazzi, or the worry of being late to interviews), or a family reunion with all my cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, and everyone I hadn't seen in a long time. All through that, though, there was one other thing that ranked above the others: I wanted to be with Calum.

Of course we talked, almost every day for hours, but I longed to see him in person. He'd be in Europe touring, I'd be in the US promoting my album. He'd come to America, but then I'd be on a plane to a different country to go record some songs or do some more promoting.

I mention frequently about all the cute notes he wrote me before leaving. He really shies away about that topic, which just makes him more adorable.

Finally, after nine months of waiting, Calum was traveling back to LA. Perfect timing too, because two days later, I'm traveling up North to go home and do some Bay Area interviews.

I could barely sleep the night he told me he was coming. I would have to wait three days to see him, and the thought made me smile and get all fluffy inside.

He was coming home— To me.

Luckily, that late night excitement session ended and I fell asleep quickly.

I woke up in the morning feeling completely and utterly awful, though. My throat was itchy, my nose was stuffed, and body entire felt stiff and sore. The first thing I did when I opened my eyes and felt how tense my body was, I groaned. My phone was ringing loudly on the night stand. I weakly pull my arms out from under the comforter and reach over to my phone. Without even looking at the contact name, I answer the call in a croaky tone.

"Hello?"

"You sound like shit," Calum chuckles softly on the other line, "Are you feeling okay today?"

"Fine and dandy," I say sarcastically, "Like a fresh, red rose picked off the bush without any effort."

"I'm guessing that's my cue to rush to the store and buy a bouquet of neatly arranged carnations, roses, and baby breath with a pie scented candle with a picture of Jensen Ackles shirtless taped to it?"

"You're really great, you know that?" I hum, smiling softly.

He laughs again, a comforting, twinkling-like one. "I know, I know. Hey, do you have any plans today?"

"Surprisingly, no. My schedule is clear today, why? What are you planning?"

"Nothing important," Calum teases, "Just keep it that way. I'll see you in two days."

With that, we end our conversation. In an attempt to wash away my sickness, I decide to take a scalding shower to see if the steam would clear up my sinuses. I felt better for the awhile, just sitting in the steamed up bathroom, looking at myself in the fogged up mirror.

The warm room helped my body loosen up, to be honest, and I was feeling pretty good about myself. I changed into my favorite lounge clothes: joggers and an oversized shirt, which happened to actually be Calum's.

It's the "DROP F**KING DEAD" tank top one, which he'd given me few years back when I was clubbing with him and Ashton. We were staying in the same hotel, but I wanted to change and then go back into their room. I had lost my key to my room, and they couldn't give me a new one until morning. This gave me no choice than to stay with Calum and Ash and I had nothing else to change into except one of Calum's shirts.