Chapter 5:

read, vote, comment and share

* WARNING * VULGAR LANGUAGE!

-------

September 2017

A few birthdays and holidays later, my mom's still in the hospital. But this past few months have been very eventful for me. I drowned my feelings into songwriting and literally wrote about 12 songs. I luckily got my hands on a booth and recorded one song which is called 4 am. I produced it myself and I'm planning on releasing it on iTunes and stuff by myself as well.

My family, especially my mom, are incredibly proud of me. I was able to take a guitar to the hospital room and sing it for her.

Ella literally screamed when I told her. She immediately came over to my house (since she was on break) and I gave her a little bit of snippets. Ella once again screamed and through her arms around me.

I had met up with the boys on a group chat and also told them about my song. Michael and Luke told me it was amazing and that I should keep doing what I'm doing. Ashton gave me this long speech about how much music can help people and stuff like that. Calum honestly seemed to gleam at me proudly. It was a nice feeling.

Now as I was here during one of my very few interviews I've ever done on On Air with Ryan Seacrest.

"Now this your first single ever, right?" Ryan asks me from across the wires and microphones.

"Yes," I say.

"You're 20 years old, you grew up with Ella Reece and you're still best friends, you're friends with 5 Seconds of Summer. They're both really successful artists, why didn't you ask them for help?" He asks curiously.

"Honestly, I've done covers with Ella, we were in a band together with our old friend Heather and everything, and she just got discovered before me. Yes, I could've asked, 'Hey promote me on Twitter,' or 'Do a cover with me' but I considered that basking in their fame. I also wanted to earn my way on the charts or on the radio by myself and just learn by myself," I explain.

"Which makes a lot of sense," Ryan says. "And your song, 4 am, can you explain what it's about?"

"Of course. It's about being cheated on. There's nothing more to it."

"And you wrote it?"

"Yeah. It's from a personal experience in high school," I nod at Ryan.

"Okay, here it is, the first exclusive hearing of 4 am by Mikayla Valencia," He says into the microphone and the 'Live' sign goes off.

"Thanks for coming," Ryan smiles to me.

"Thank you for having me," I smile back.

After exchanging goodbyes and everything, I get called a car to take me to the airport; from New York to California. After going through all the security checks and everything, I'm on my plane and in the air.

Ella's finally home and staying until January. I've spent the past month with her, went to one radio interview in the Central Valley, and basically did all the catching up like usual.

I get a text from Ashton:

Asston Erwan: Heyy we were listening to your interview. Calum was literally grinning the entire haha, x

Me: Haha, well you're going to buy my single right?

He responds quicker than I expected.

Asston Erwan: As long as you complete our new album, ;)

Me: You're asking for too much now Ashton...