What happens when you move (Chapter 8)

Chapter 8: Babysitting

It was finally Friday and Zack and I were heading over to the Kinder Care to pick up Lauren. Chace is letting Zack borrow his car while he’s on his date with Emily. They left to where ever he was taking her right after school and he said they’d probably be home at like nine.

We walked into the Kinder Care and I said hi to a couple of the staff members that I had gotten to know during the week. I put the code in and opened the door into the playroom. I automatically saw Lauren playing with a bunch of blocks. She and another girl were seeing how high they could stack them.

Zack went over and signed her out since I was actually family I couldn’t. I went and got her stuff and waited to see how long it would take her to notice us. A few minutes later she looked up and saw me and she started running over to me with a big smile on her face.

“Hi sweetie.” I said as she jumped into my arms. “Are you ready to go home and fun with me and Uncle Zack?”

“Yeah! Can we go get ice cream Auntie Cor? Uncle Zack and Daddy always take me!” she asked with puppy dog eyes. And I couldn’t deny her, not with that face.

“Oh they do? You know we can but you have to keep it a secret otherwise mommy might get mad.” I told her.

“Yay!” she squealed and jumped out of my arms and ran over to Zack. He picked her up and gave her a hug and kiss on the cheek.

I grabbed her stuff off the floor next to me and started walking over to them. “Ok you ready to get some ice cream?” I asked Lauren. She nodded her head rapidly and then squirmed until Zack let her come into my arms. He grabbed her stuff from me and we made our way out to the car.

I buckled her into her seat and then got into the passenger seat. I turned the music down so that it was only background noise and looked out the window. Zack reached over and grabbed my hand and gave it a squeeze. I smiled at him quickly and looked back out the window.

I was really relaxed. I felt comfortable with him. I never thought that’d I’d meet somebody right away in Darrington. To think that we’ve only known each other a week was insane. It felt like I’ve known him for years.

He pulled into the Dairy Queen parking lot and parked the car in a spot. I got out and went to unbuckle Lauren. She was jumping up and down in her seat. She looked so cute when she was excited.

“Ok ready Lauren?” I asked her. She nodded and then took my hand towing me to the door to Dairy Queen but Zack got there before us and had the door open for us already. He could be a gentleman when he wanted to.

“Thank you Hun.” I said to Zack as I walked through the door into Dairy Queen. “Ok Lauren what do you want?” I knelt down next to her so that we were about level.

“Um I want a cocoa and nilla cone.” She told me. I laughed and picked her up into my arms.

When we got to the counter I ordered her chocolate and vanilla twist cone. And then I got myself a small oreo blizzard. After Zack ordered his large chocolate cone he paid and we waited for them to give us our ice cream.

I was sitting at a table when Zack came over with our ice cream. He gave Lauren her cone and her eyes lit up at the sight of it. I started eating my blizzard.

“Oh brain freeze.” I said. I had been eating a little too fast. Zack laughed at me and Lauren giggled. “Oh you find that funny do you?” I said to Lauren. She giggled again.

I leaned over the table and tickled her and she started giggling uncontrollably. I stopped before she dropped her ice cream. “Your so silly Lauren.”