What happens when you move (Chapter 24)

For the next Chapter to be uploaded I need two votes! I feel bad asking but after 24 chapters I would like to know that there are at least a couple people reading. :)

Chapter 24

“Zack?” I hear Emily ask through the phone.

            Zack had called up to talk to Chace but he didn’t answer his phone. Instead Emily answered.

            “Emily? Where’s Chace? Is something wrong?” Zack asked. I could hear the worry in his voice.

            I heard Emily talking but I couldn’t make out what she was saying. She was mumbling and I could hear in her voice that she was scared. Something was going on over there.

            Zack hung up and turned to me. “We need to go over there,” He said while he was grabbing clothes to get dressed. “Now.”

            I grabbed my clothes and got dressed. When I was finished he grabbed my hand and we raced out the door.

            On the way over to Emily’s house I was going to ask him what was going on but there was no time. He had sped over to Emily’s house and we got there before I could even open my mouth to ask a question.

            Before I had my seatbelt off Zack was out of the car and running up to the front door. I could tell by now that something was wrong. Terribly wrong and I didn’t know if I could take it.

            So much was going on and my mind was racing. I didn’t know what to think of first. So instead of thinking I let my mind turn off and just did what I knew I had to. I ran after Zack.

            As I opened the front door I heard yelling and then something broke.

            “Chace!” Zack yelled. I was walking through the door and noticed a picture frame on the floor in pieces. Following the frame I looked to the left and saw Zack standing at the bottom of the stairs looking up towards the top where his brother was standing.

            “Please Chace. Just sit down. Take a deep breath everything will be ok.” Emily said.

            She was standing a few steps behind Chace and I could tell she looked scared. She didn’t know what to do.

            “Stop telling me everything will be ok! Dammit nothing will be ok!” Chace yelled.

            I turned to Zack and saw the hurt in his eyes and then a flash of anger.

            “Chace everything will be ok. Listen to Emily she’s right. Think of Lauren. You have a daughter you have to take care of.” Zack was trying to stay calm but I could tell in his posture he was everything but calm. “I know you’re hurt. So am I but the best thing we can do now is think about Grandpa and all the great memories we’ve had with him. Come on Chace, you know he wouldn’t want this.”

            “Don’t tell me what he would have wanted. You have no idea what he wanted. You are not Grandpa!” Chace yelled.

            We all stopped for a second not knowing how to respond. I looked up at Emily and we both knew we were hearing the same thing. Lauren was screaming in her room. I could hear the pain in her voice. She was just a little girl. She had no idea what was going on out here.

            “Emily why don’t you go comfort her. She needs her mom.” I finally spoke up. Emily nodded and walked away.

            “Chace listen to your brother. He’s right. Do you hear her? Your daughter is screaming. She’s scared. Chace you’re doing this to her.” I was trying to get him to think about what he was doing. The only way to break Chace is to talk about Lauren. “I know you’re hurt but you’re also hurting your daughter.”