What happens when you move (Chapter 13)

Chapter 13

            “I don’t understand.” My mom said confused. I had already explained Tyler’s offer and she didn’t show any emotion towards me. There wasn’t a single ounce of happiness or disgust. Nothing. She was like a blank sheet.

            “What don’t you understand Mom?” I asked getting frustrated. Why couldn’t she just be happy for me?

            “Why would you take this offer Courtney? Do you think it’s actually real? Come on I raised you better then that. You should be able to tell when someone is lying. Ninety-nine point nine percent of those singers out their, Courtney, their voices are adjusted. They’re just going to do the same thing to you.” My mom said implying, basically, that I was dumb.

            I stood up getting ready to yell. “Mom you don’t understand because you never went after your own dreams. You always got pushed around and told that acting was a stupid dream and that it would never happen. You gave up.” I said my voice getting louder with each word I said. “I’m not going to. So either you’re going to back me up or just leave me alone. Let me do my own thing with no questions at all from you. I’m tired of this. I’m sorry that your dreams got beat down by everybody around you but I am not going to let that happen to mine.”

            She looked completely shocked that I was yelling at her. Normally when we start fighting I walk out because I don’t want to hear about it. But this is something I really want and I was not going to back down.

            “That’s what I’ve been waiting for.” She said with a smile on her face. “I’ve been waiting for you to stick up for yourself and for your dreams and goals.” Is she kidding? “Courtney I regret everything I did because I let people push me around. I never stood up for what I wanted. You finally did. I’m proud of you. And of course I’m going to back you up one hundred percent. You have a beautiful voice and I can’t wait to see where your life takes you.”

            “Wait so you’ve been acting practically my entire life? Anytime I sang you always told me to be quiet. You just wanted me to stand up for myself?” I asked bewildered.

            “Yeah. I knew you would catch on at some point. And it’s better to start teaching young.” She said,

            “I… I don’t know what to say. But thank you. For supporting me.” I hugged her and then added. “Well this went better then I thought it would. Now I’m going to go call Steve.”

            “You’re still talking to him? Why?” She looked at me confused.

            “Just because of the things he’s done doesn’t mean that I’m just going to stop talking to him. He was apart of our lives for thirteen years Mom.” I said getting a little mad again. She can only see the bad in him. I can’t say goodbye to someone who has been in my life more then my own father has.

            “Ok whatever.” She turned back to the TV and started watching some show she taped.

            I walked down stairs to my room and called Steve. He was happy to hear that I was following my dreams. He was surprised when I told him about Mom lying practically my whole life but was happy to hear that she was supporting me. I also caught him up on everything else that was going on. Emily, Zack, school, everything. He told me that I can come visit whenever and that the house in Taylorsville will always have room for me no matter what. Steve also said that he didn’t have the heart to paint over my light blue walls so my bedroom will always be mine. I was excited to hear about that because it took me forever to decide what to do with that room.