{Chapter 17}

Patience is a virtue

I couldn't help but giggle at his comment as I made my way over to my draws, and pulling out my usual baggy clothes, I easily slipped out my pyjamas and got dressed, then started into the kitchen. I knew for a fact that I had practically nothing in, from the earnings I'd already acquired, every single penny of it had already gone to such things as food, so even if I wanted to go out, I wouldn't even be able to afford it. I sighed sitting down at the kitchen table I put my head into my hands. Pain, the excruciating pain which I'd felt while I worked there, it wouldn't leave my mind. 'It could always happen again' my conscious warned me, which I knew was true. "Are you alright?" Cameron asked, I could hear his soft foot steps stop behind where I was sitting, lifting up my head I gave him what I thought was my most convincing smile. "Yeah I'm fine, just thinking about what I could make us for breakfast." I shrugged, this was partly true, ever since my.... Melt down I hadn't got any eggs so I couldn't make any pancakes like when he previously came over.

       "How about I take us out for breakfast?" Cameron nonchalantly suggested, I considered his proposition, which was tempting to say the least.... But my pride took over. "It's fine, I'll just find something here to make." I made my way to the fridge, and opening it and looking inside I was quite disappointed by the outcome. "How about some toast?" Cameron suggested now joining me. I sigh in annoyance. "There's no bread, I've not been shopping in a while." He rolled his eyes, and then grabbing me he started to lead me up to the bedroom. "What is it?" I questioned as he began to look around. "Where's your shoes, we're going out."

      I huffed as I sat down in my chair, Cameron had told me to wait for him in a stern voice so I had choice but to follow his orders. He was nearly at the till when my phone went off, making me jump slightly taking it out of the pocket I read the text in disinterest before chucking it back into my pocket. "What's up?" Cameron questioned setting a plate of French toast in front of me. "I really didn't need you to pay for me you know." I pointed out a bit too sharply, but instead of being insulted like I thought he would he just laughed. "Of course not little one, but I can't let my girl go hungry now, can I?" As he said this he gave me a wink which I did not return. "Since when was I your girl?" I questioned him, frowning slightly. "Since the moment I first saw you." I took a bite of the toast he bought me before throwing it back down on its plate, was this what Holly had meant? Did he usually play these kinds of mind games? "How can I be your girl if you never asked me?" He took a deep gulp of his coffee, taking a abnormal amount of time in a vein attempt to stall answering before setting it back down and leaning over the table so he was closer me. "Alright then, if you want to play it this way, Jane will you be my girlfriend?" I considered his question, knowing full well that I didn't even fully trust his man yet.

      "No." I simply said taking another bite of my toast, he looked a bit taken a back and hurt at the same time, as if he was shocked by my answer. "Why not?" "I need to know that I can trust you before I do anything, like kissing or something." "You didn't mind it when I kissed you before." He pointed out. "Yeah, but then I found you having sex with another girl." He sat back, analysing me to try and find some kind of fault in my expression, as if he wanted to know just how much it hurt me, but my façade didn't even slip so he let it go. "What about last night? Did you regret that?" I shook my head, not daring to look into his eyes, I know that if I did I'd crave right away, I needed to be strong.

     "So you want me to prove myself to you?" I nodded finally calming down I looked him straight in the eye, showing him that I was going to back down. "Very well then, have it your way, I'll court you until you change your mind." I sat there shocked, truthfully I didn't really think he'd accept the proposition, but staring into his eyes I could see the determination in them, such certainty in them that it was all most scary.