Chapter 16: I'm so sorry

POV: Tris

The telephone rings and I run to answer it.

"Beatrice Prior," a female voice hisses. "If you want your dear little parents to survive I recommend your here in less than 24 hours good luck," she cackles.

The phone goes silent and all I do is stare. My stomach drops. I had a feeling I knew who it was from the beginning.

"Tris?" Tobias worries "Are you okay?"

"My parents," I gulp "Their being held hostage... Because... Because of me."

"What happened?" Tobias says roughly now standing.

"I got a call from a woman... I think it may be Jeanine, and she said if I wasn't 'here' in 24 hours than my parents wouldn't survive," I choke out tears falling down my cheeks.

"Shh," he soothes "Well figure this all out."

"I have to leave."

"Not without me," he remarks "And I don't know if that will even happen. You just had a baby."

"I don't want anyone else getting hurt, you stay with Mj."

"No."

"You have too."

"Tris, promise me you'll stay and we can figure this out tomorrow," he pleads.

"Oh- okay," I stutter.

I can't believe I have to do this. I can't let him get hurt. I have too save my parents myself.
We take a nap. Once I'm sure he's asleep, I kiss his forehead.

I stop by Mikey's room and kiss his cheek whispering, I'm so sorry.

***

I run along the train tracks and jump on the nearest train. I feel horrible I had to lie to Tobias. I know it's wrong. But I can't let my parents suffer.

I finally start to see the clear land of Abnegation headquarters.

There wasn't much in Abnegation, just plain grey houses and paved streets, but it was home.

The only other place I could think of was my old abnegation house my parents still live in.

As I walk by my old neighborhood memory's come flooding back to my brain.

From when Susan and I played on the rusty old swing sets.

I step up to the entrance and take a deep breath.

I pull the door open. Everything is dark. No sign of life.

"Hello?" I yell.

Why the hell did I do that. What was I thinking.

Someone grabs ahold of me and I scream at the top of my lungs.

"Get off!" I shriek "Get off!".

I struggle to get away. No matter how hard I kick and I scream I finally realize I'm jot going to win.

They blindfold me and I've never been more scared in my entire life.

When my vision is finally back, and there stands Jeanine Matthews.

"Ah Beatrice, you foolish child," she laughs.

"I'm not a child," I snap.

"You're parents are fine, just visiting Amity headquarters to work something out with Johanna."

"Your a horrible person," I scream.

She just laughs. Not friendly. Not angry. Just wicked.

"So you were stupid enough to come here. You have no idea how much you are going to suffer. Your father was horrible to me, so I'll return his acts toward being horrible to you."

"Go ahead," she says.

I was so focused on Jeanine I didn't realize who was ahold of me.

Peter.

So this is what I get for ranking first. Almost throwing me off a ledge wasn't enough.
Before I'm able to register who she was talking to, Peter punches me in the jaw and I scream out in pain.

I can't take it anymore.
I can't do it.
I fall to the ground losing sight of anything.

***
YES. I know this was cliche, but it has to be done. Enjoy. love you guys!!