Chapter Six: The Unforgiving Past

CHAPTER SIX 

The Unforgiving Past 

01.16.12

The Advertising Agency was nothing more than a small structure that branched off from a larger building on the south side of town. I walked down the hallway in the larger structure, passing several doors on either side to a wooden door at the end of the hall. There was one light working that shined just above the door which made it look like it was bright and full of light on the other side while the hallway seemed bleak and empty. I knocked three times. 

"Come on in!" a loud, but friendly voice called out. I opened the door to find a woman wearing a black sweater and tannish pencil skirt, under that, black leggings with high heels and a gold necklace around her neck. "John?" She said as she turned in her swivel chair and shifted her prescription glasses that seemed to blend in with her dark auburn colored hair. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a woman look up from her desk. I was annoyed with the fact she mistook me for the other guy, it made me think about the night prior, but I was starting to forget more... 

"I have to do something quickly or I might lose everything altogether." I thought. "No, Jake, I'm looking for-" 

"Jake?" The woman stood up from her chair. She was wearing a thin, pink, long sleeve and a fluffy black skirt that reminded me of a rose. 

"Kate?" I asked not wanting to look stupid by just assuming it was her, but she nodded. "I need to talk to you, it's...it's urgent." I said, biting my tongue. Kate looked to Tabitha. 

"Go ahead Kaitlynn, Jillian will be coming in, in a few minutes." Tabitha said as she waved Kate towards me and went back to work. Kate made her way past several other desks where men and women were typing or answering phone calls. She walked up to me as I turned to the door and we walked out together. 

I remembered her face, and as we walked down the hall I couldn't stop looking over at her from time to time. To be honest even I felt weirded out by it, so I could only imagine how she had felt. 

I still couldn't remember really who she was, but if Samuel said she was John's fiancée, "she must have known me well," I thought to myself. The walk down the hallway seemed like it was going on forever as I tried to remember who she was, even the smallest memory would have been helpful, but I couldn't recollect anything. I still had to figure out how to tell her what had happened to John and I wasn't sure how I would even begin to bring that up. I was starting to think that maybe it was a bad idea to meet with her, but there was no turning back now. 

"You wanna go to Joe's? I haven't ate all day and I could really use some coffee." She said trying to start up some conversation. 

"Ya that's fine," I said nodding my head, "but who is Joe?" I thought. I felt so helpless, not being able to remember basically the most simplest and important details was beginning to make me feel insignificant and small. "I walked here though, could you drive?" 

"Ya sure thing, I can drive. Why would you walk though? It's a far ways away from your house to here." She asked confused. I could tell she was catching onto my awkwardness and lack of knowing. Every time she looked at me she could tell there was something different, like she knew that I had forgotten her, but she wouldn't say anything. It was the oddest feeling. 

"I was in the neighborhood, so I just decided to walk." I said trying to seem nonchalant about it and dumb down the strange fact. 

So we did end up going to this "Joe's Diner" and it began to look familiar to me, this was actually one place where I could say that I completely remembered at the time. I began recollecting thoughts of numerous occasions where I had sat at the stools near the kitchen, and next the window over in the corner of the place by an old jukebox. The smell was one of the greatest things I experienced just because it helped me remember.