Chapter Nineteen: Shadows of Death

CHAPTER NINETEEN 

Shadows of Death 

2.08.12

There are a lot of things I don't remember, but something that always resided in my head was the idea of being a superhero. The man destined for greatness, who would put himself in harm's way in order to serve the purpose of saving others. The woman who could easily overpower a villain with the crack of a whip. The kid who was at one time an underdog and alone, but ended up taking the responsibilities of another in honor of their memory and to preserve hope...But of course I could tell you I never imagined myself being in any kind of position like that. That is until the day that Kate got involved. Since that day on the bridge I had received dozens of phone calls asking me confusing questions. Of course I would answer them, but I never knew why she asked them, nor did I get the chance to question her, for as soon as I answered the questions she would thank me and hang up. What was also weird was that she was never able to see me either until that day. The day when she came knocking on my door like it was some kind of emergency. 

"Jake! Jake, open up!" She said urgently. To my misfortune I was sleeping at the time, tired from the numerous amount of thugs I had dealt with the nights before. "Jake, come on!" She whined as she continued knocking on the door. "It's like one in the afternoon, if you're not up that's just ridiculous!" I slowly and groggily made my way to the door, opening it to her slight smile, her head cocked somewhat to her right as she held a large cardboard box. 

"You alright? What's with the panic attack?" I asked dazedly. 

"Well I had to get you to open the door somehow, this box is heavy." She said. I opened the door wider as I stepped back, motioned her in and rubbed my eyes. She stepped into the living room and put the box on the ground. "I've been doing my research and putting together a lot of cool little instruments we can use when you're out on the field." She said. I stopped for a moment, my eyes widening as I thought about it for a second. "You know how police have those scanners that-" 

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa..." I stopped her, trying to grasp what was happening. I was surprised by her tenacity, but it was starting to become a problem. "We?" I coughed. "WE? Since when is this a team effort?" I asked her, putting my hand out to stop her from doing...whatever it was she was about to do. 

"Since I figured out your identity and I'm helping you with this." Kate said forwardly. "Now I've compiled a few programs and devices that we could use to- 

"Weren't you the one that said this wasn't a game?" I interrupted her again. 

"Well I didn't say it quite like that, but yes. I know that it's not a game, Jake, but you can't just do this alone." Kate said as she looked at me with soft eyes. 

"Your bravery is commendable, but this is not some kind of adventure we have as best friends. I'm sorry, but my answer is no." I said firmly. I turned to open the door. 

"You don't have a choice," She said as she grabbed my arm. I turned. "Jake...I'm all you got." Her tone became more serious as she glared at me. "I'm not letting anyone else get killed. At least while you have me I'm going to help you. Deal with it." She said as I swallowed hard, closing my eyes and sighing. 

"Rules...There are rules." I said as she squeaked and smiled. "No, no, no...Don't get all excited. The rules are strict. No exceptions, no deviations, or this all goes away." I said as she nodded and listened closely. "The rules are...The rules..." I stuttered trying to figure out what guidelines to lay down. "I have to think about the rules...But you are not allowed to ever get involved with criminals." I said. She nodded quickly, but I wanted an answer out of her. "Okay?" I asked, widening my eyes again.