Chapter Sixteen: Born Again, Die Again

CHAPTER SIXTEEN 

Born Again, Die Again 

2.02.12

As Big Al and Jeffery paced slowly down the hallway, the only sounds that could be heard were the heavy footsteps clicking on the cherry wood floors and the thick panting of a broken man being hauled by his arms. The wheezing began to lower in volume as he grunted and coughed up blood. Old bruises were covered by new ones as the torch lights that illuminated the hall revealed the face of Christian Wilcox. He struggled, trying to break loose of their vice grip on him. Jeffery twisted Christian's arm, forcing him to scream, his tears flooding away as the panting sped up again. Christian knew what he was in for. He didn't want to believe it, but he slowly began to realize that this was the end of the line. He drooped his head low and let the two lug him down the hall, his shoes dragging as they pulled him into a large office room. Christian sluggishly lifted his head, meeting eye to eye with Detective Keith Stanton. Big Al and Jeffery tossed Christian onto the floor like a piece of meat, Christian dragging his arms slowly toward himself, bracing his chest. Keith just looked down, grinning from ear to ear with his hands behind his back. 

"You run, and you run, but you just...can't...hide from us...can you?" He asked tenderly, almost speaking in a whisper. "You little snitch!" His tone flipped, suddenly becoming so menacing that it sent chills down Christian's spine. 

"Why...?" Christian asked, placing his hands on the floor as he tried to push himself up. "Why?" He repeated, looking up at Keith, his arms shaking, weak from how tired and beaten he was. 

"Why?" Keith mimicked, smiling again. He laughed, looking behind at The Subterfuge in the shadows, then back at Christian's meek body. Keith took him by his bloody shirt, pulling him real close. "It makes me sick that you don't know...why." Keith mocked. "Don't you understand that there's not a single way you can get away from The Subterfuge?" 

"What does he have to do with Cloud...?" Christian shook, mumbling in a scratchy tone. 

"You tried to defect out of fear and anger...You thought you could just walk away by going to the police against billionaire Dennis Cloud? And you did this why? You thought...you were being cheated?" Keith smirked. "Mr. Cloud is untouchable." Christian's eyes widened, his breathing hastening as Keith drew his arm back and forced his fist into Christian's stomach. Keith continued by kicking him over and over until he could barely move when The Subterfuge raised his hand and cleared his throat. 

"Detective...Stop...Before you kill him, ask him about the man." The Subterfuge demanded. Keith looked back to him, then again back at Christian, picking up again. 

"Who was the man that saved your sorry, miserable life and kicked the crap out of our men!?" Keith barked. Christian was silent, whether he was deciding not to respond or just too exhausted, he didn't speak a syllable. Not one vowel. Keith slammed his fist into his cheek. "He wore a black and red hoodie! You must have seen his face!" Keith said, shaking Christian's body. He just looked up at Keith, gathering as much strength as he could and spat blood at Keith's face. Keith stood completely still for a moment. 

"Screw...you..." Christian heaved. Keith punched Christian as he threw him on the ground, screaming in anger. He closed in on Christian and stepped on his throat. 

"Just describe him to me, and I'll let you live." Keith said maliciously. Christian began crying, shaking profusely, finally giving up. 

"Dark brown hair...Maybe six feet tall...Light skinned...I didn't know his name he never said it... I...I thought he was some angel sent by God..." Christian whimpered, giving into his fear. He believed every word he spoke, shaking as Keith smiled. The Subterfuge stood in the shadows watching as Keith left Christian's fate to his docile mind's imagination.