Chapter Nine: Here's To Letting Go

CHAPTER NINE 

Here's to Letting Go 

Several Months Before - New Year's Eve (2011)

The times between my mother's funeral and the death of my brother are still fuzzy, but what I do remember was when I had first realized that my brother and Kate were dating. Like I had been hiding my life, they had done an overwhelmingly seamless job at hiding theirs from me. It had started on New Year's Eve, I was finally over Kate, or at least that was what I had thought and convinced myself of. John had invited me to a party after a day of training. 

"Come on Jake, it's all of our friends. They miss you, they wanna see you. You can't just say no to that!" He said pleading with me.  

"You know I'm not into social gatherings of old friends, I like strangers and businessmen. Plus they're your friends, not mine." I told him, flinging my hand in the air as John jumped over the ring's ropes and landed swiftly on the cement ground, his sparring partner, Brendan Bennett following his lead. 

"They were your friends. They still are. At least that's what they consider themselves to be." Brendan said as he stood from his landing and walked up next to John. 

"I'm just not really feeling it today." I said, shrugging my shoulders. 

"It's a party and you love parties. AND it's New Year's Eve! It's the night to party man, come on, I want you to be there. It won't be a party without you bro." He said as he put his hand on my shoulder. "You may even get to kiss a girl at the party." He said, elbowing me in the side. 

"I don't need to kiss some girl, john." I said, shaking my head. 

"Come on, please. I really want you to be there!" John said, shaking me a bit. I sighed, annoyed as I knew that he would continue to ask until I gave in anyway. 

"Fine." I said. He and Brendan laughed as he pat me on the back. This of course was my first mistake, not going with my gut. 

"Dude you'll have fun. I promise." Brendan said, smiling. 

"Oh how can you say that, all the good fun happens when cops AREN'T around." I said, crossing my arms with a slight smile. 

"That's detective to you Gabe, and-"  

"What'd I say about callin me Gabe!?" I growled, crossing my arms and glaring at him as John leaned on my shoulder. 

"Alright fine, Gabriel." Brendan said, grinning. 

"Better I suppose," I mumbled. 

"And Besides, as I was saying, I'm off duty. That means as long as no one's getting hurt, anything goes." 

"John have I told you how much I like your friend?" I said to my brother, smiling maliciously. 

"As long as we don't do anything stupid, right Bennett?" John said as he glared at Brendan. 

"Yes John, no stupid stuff." Brendan said as he closed his eyes and grinned. 

"Hmph. Guess I should be more worried about him than I should you." I said as I pointed to John, irritated. But I laughed and we all walked out together as John received a phone call. 

"Hello? Ya, it's all set. Mhm...Yes. Well make sure she's there Jill! Ha alright, I'll see ya tonight." John said, then quickly hung up the phone. 

"Who was that?" Brendan asked as I listened intently. 

"Ah no one. Just can't wait for tonight. It's gonna be a blast." And he smiled one of the biggest smiles I had seen him smile in a long time...It caused suspicion...But again I decided to not go with my gut, and I ignored it... My second mistake of the evening. I sighed.