Chapter Eleven: From Here

CHAPTER ELEVEN 

From Here 

1.15.12 (17 Hours before John's death)

I was just getting back from my morning walk when I got a call from John. When I realized it was him calling me I looked around to house to find surprisingly he wasn't in his room. 

"John?" I yelled for him as my phone continued to ring. "John, I'm home, you don't have to call me." I called out, confused that he wasn't answering. I began looking for my phone when I realized it wasn't on me. 

"Where the heck is it?" I asked aloud. Finally I looked over to my right where it was lying on top of a note. I shrugged my shoulders and hurriedly answered the phone. "Hey, John, where you at?" 

"Not at home." 

"Ya, I realized that, I just got back and you call." 

"I've been trying to get a hold of you for an hour. Where have you been?" He asked firmly. I figured something was up, but I didn't really ask what. 

"I was out on my walk." I said. "Like I do pretty much every morning. I didn't even think you'd be up until eight." 

"Right, forgot. Hey you think you could swing by Joe's? I'm havin' breakfast here, was wondering if you wanted to join me." He said. I still felt a urgency in his voice, but I didn't want to push until I got there. 

"Ya, let me jump in the shower real quick and change clothes. I'll be there in 15 min." I said quickly. 

"Alright, I'll see you soon." And with that he hung up and put the phone back on the table next to the note. I found it strange, John wasn't usually up this early on Friday's. I just decided to shake off any negative notions and went on to get ready. 

As I walked down the street in my long trench coat I breathed into my hands that were still cold even with gloves on. I adjusted my coat as I walked through the door and wandered over to the booth where John was sitting at, drinking his coffee. He was in his typical training clothes which lead me to believe he had gotten up early to go for a run or to the boxing ring we owned down the street. 

"The only guy I know in the entire city that'll wear a trench coat with a suit and jeans." He said snickering. 

"Hey I'm formal when I need to be..." I said as I took of my coat and hung it on the booth. "And casual when I feel like it." I said unbuttoning my suit jacket and sitting down across from john. 

"Only thing casual about that outfit are those shoes." He said laughing as he pointed to my ratty, ripped up sneakers. 

"Hey I didn't think I was going to a meeting or anything like that and I found no reason to go grab my dress shoes so I just decided to wear my runners." I said. "I think they're fine. What about you mister gym clothes?" I asked as he shook his head. 

"Hey Joe, get Jacob over here a cold drink would ya?" John said motioning to me. Joe, who was standing behind the bar nodded and waved his hand. 

"On the double, John, you got it!" He said Cheerfully, grabbing for a clean glass. 

"So what'd you wanna talk about? You sounded pretty urgent." I queried, wondering what was on his mind. His smile vanished as he began fiddling with his cup. He grabbed a packet of sugar and swung it around as he scratched his arm. I waited as he opened the packet and continued to ignore my question as if he was trying to figure out what to say. This of course seemed too familiar to me, but I waited for him to speak, leaning over the table with my hands clasped together.