Chapter 8

A Year had passed everything had changed in the island. Zaccheaus had recently learned that The Spanish had sold territory to a Spaniard living in Spain. Who had sent a helper to administer the land, what the helper had found while exploring the land was a Taino Tribe, which Arasibo resided in. The Helper had enslaved all of them, most of them had died from the disease or had been killed, but it was confirmed that Arasibo had passed away from the illness he contracted at the time. What else had happened was a Hurricane came by, it ending up in many Indian deaths and destroyed many Yucayeques.
Luciana started to not worry much about the things happening or having too much stress with dealing with horrid thoughts, as long as Zaccheaus was there with her she was happy. The manor became more lively, as Estrella began to walk. She had learned how to run as well to speak as well. She continues to trample over things, as well as break stuff around her. Luciana always running behind every where Estrella goes so Estrella would not get hurt. Zaccheaus had learned how to play the Cuatro after what had happened with Macho, the instrument was delivered by the Jibaros who knew Macho to Zaccheaus. He always played it when Estrella was awake so she could go to her father to hear him play. She would sit and ask him stuff whether be it his culture or the instrument he is playing, she learned Zaccheaus's tongue and Luciana's tongue. Without the help of Luciana or Zaccheaus teaching them both tongues at the same time.
Luciana's father also enjoyed Estrella eagerness as well her lively spirit, she reminded him of Luciana when she was younger in the past. He was always playing with her, as well working around in the fields with the other slaves, sometimes Estrella would help out. Luciana would at times be alone with Zaccheaus when Luciana's father played with Estrella so she would not go looking for them. They when always alone wanted to release stress or talk about what is currently happening with Spanish and Taino, or talk about Estrella.
I awake, I see that Luciana is not there beside me. I get up, dress and put my hat on then head out of the room. I hear footsteps running from the hallways and it was getting louder. I see its Estrella, she is running to me. She's a little slow but I walk a couple feet back to avoid her playfully. She then catches me, I picked her up.
" Baba, ¿como estas? ( how are you?)" Estrella asked while smiling. She looked like her mother with her hair and some facial features, but was a little more tan like her father, as well as his features too. She then asked " Baba cuando ( father when ) would I get a Symbol?
" Baba is fine, Ask your Bibi." I replied to her, she smiled. I put her back on the ground, then she sprint off to find Luciana. I followed Estrella, she lead me to Luciana. She was helping the maids, like she usually does like in the Yucayeque in the past. I walked to her to hear what she was going to say about the symbol.
I see Estrella pulls Luciana's dress to get her attention, Luciana turned around from her work. Smiled at Estrella then she asked what happen. " Bibi, quiero ( Mother I want) a symbol like Baba may I have one?." Replied Estrella.
Luciana looked at me, I smiled. She looked at me, then she moved her eyebrow. Looking at me as if it was my decision. Estrella looked away started to look outside waiting, then Luciana said " Ask your Baba,"
Estrella stopped looking out the window then ran to me and hugged my leg, she looked at me. I stayed quiet thinking, then I sighed. I nodded, she smiled then she started to cheer for joy, she is really energetic in the mornings. I look at Luciana she smiled at me. Then she nodded giving me her approval.
Estrella asked " When do I get it?" She stayed still waiting for answer. I told her to wait after dinner later today. I headed out of the house, to look for Jagua ( tree for tribal markings) . As I looked, it took me several hours to find one. In the dense forest near the manor.
I found one, as I took my bowl out from the bag I carried to collect the paint I see Oromico heading towards me. I have not seen him in a while after the attack from the Guami'ken. He walks to me, he was armed with his weapons, ready to fight any Guami'ken wanting to fight. He asks " Where were you?"
I stood tall as a cacique should always should then said " I am taking shelter back at Luciana's home." He looks at me he studying me. He looked to see that I was wearing Guami'ken clothing. He did not like what I was doing or actually wearing.
He looked at the hat I was wearing then said " He passed then?" I nodded, then he continued " he was just a hillbilly." He looked at the bowl I was holding.
" No he was a friend." I spoked, he looked at me as I was crazy then he sat down looking at me get some Jagua for Estrella. He knew what I was doing but did not ask why I was collecting Jagua paint.
" So are you still in this? It looks like you have given up Cacique." Oromico asked, I looked to him then I nodded. He got up gave his goodbyes and disappeared into the darkness never turning back to look me in the face again. I had the feeling I would never see that man again.
I continued to get more Jagua, as I finished collecting what I needed I headed home, before I reached at the Manor. I went to a store and purchased some Brushes for Estrella's symbol. Then headed back to the Manor.
It was getting dark, I see Luciana was waiting for me at the door, she waited patiently. I see that she had a note in her hands probably from Oromico that was sent to me prior meeting him today. I looked in the note to see that Urayoan is missing no one knew where he was, the other Caciques had either left or decided not to fight against the Guami'ken. I see that Oromico is going to unite with Luquillo. Both clearly have the spirit to not give up. Some Cacique still fighting by in small numbers.
I took the letter I had in my hand and then put it in my pocket, Luciana then kissed me then said " Thank you, for deciding to stop." I smiled then told her, it is ok. We walked inside and headed to the Dinning room, I was hungry. All of us began eating at the dinner table.
After that I left with Estrella outside far from the manor, Luciana and her father knew what I was doing, I started a fire. Then I sat next to Estrella. She was quiet, I told her to take her shirt off. She did I took a knife out, I stayed quiet thinking about what symbol to carve then I carved a signature. Estrella stayed quiet clenching her hands trying not to scream from the pain. After all she is really young, she is still a toddler. If Luciana saw how this was hurting Estrella she would have yelled to Zaccheaus to stop carving the signature. Atlas she was not there to see what happened. This had pained Zaccheaus more than it hurted Estrella. He felt he was hurting his beloved child.
After putting the mark, Zaccheaus started to put the Jagua paint to stain the wound. Then he waited quietly he nervously asked " Rahe are you ok?" She kept looking down he was scared, she waited for a while. She gulped then she smiled.
She looked at him she waited to see what else he was going to say but he stayed quiet. She spoked " It Stings, so what do we do now?" I sat down next to her, then I pulled out the knife I had used on her, then I showed her my knife. She looked at it, I gave it to her to hold.
" Yes it stings don't worry about it my Rahe." She smiled, then she looked at the texture of the knife pressing the feeling of the carvings. It had carvings of the gods, obviously she was raised in Luciana's faith, she would not understand my beliefs.
She asked " You have it carved saying cacique." I was proud she could read at a really young age. Luciana told me that when she was three she started reading hard books. She was amazed to see the knife, I rubbed her head. She was too young to know how I got that knife but I'll tell her in a couple of years after everything that is currently happening with the Spanish and Tainos. I can say I am proud to have taken off the foolish path of fighting but to settle down with my family.