Chapter 23: Things Got a Little Better

Brendan went out with Tess and Jade was upstairs with Naomi. Joel spent the night so we were hanging out tonight. Jade and Naomi were doing whatever girls do. I sat down on the porch in the backyard smoking a joint with Joel.

"So what's up with you? How's work going?" I asked Joel. I didn't really pay attention to what he said but i don't think he realized it. "What about you?" He asked me. My mind went blank for a second. "Ahh, same ol, same ol. Just waiting I guess" I mumbled. "It seems like Brendan is changing. Not home as much anymore. Not hanging out with us anymore." I continue. "Well he does have a girlfriend, guys tend to change when their girls are involved." He replied. That was true, but he's supposed to be my big brother. I try not to let it anger me too much.

I passed the joint to Joel and he finished off the joint. Jade and Naomi came out and I could already tell they were both high. Didn't know on what, but I knew they weren't themselves. "Ahhhh sister" I say putting her in a head lock and ruffled her hair. "You wanna go Tommy?!" She asked getting in her fighting stance and throwing boxing gloves at me. "Haha you're so gonna lose!" I yell putting the gloves on.

We start boxing, I noticed that she was pretty good at it. I guess it ran in the family. I knew she knew how to fight, I just didn't think she was thay good. She never really fought or practiced with me. She threw punches and I dodged and got her back. Of course, I won. I laughed and gave her a hug. "Next time big brother, I'll be the one winning." She said. "Is that a challenge?" I ask. "You bet!" She yelled running over and sitting next to Joel. We all sat there and talked and shared another joint.