Chapter 43: Extra Hours

It's been a couple of days since Jades birthday and I started to feel bad for not calling her. I wanted to but I know it would just hurt her more.  I still felt guilty and angry at the same time. I wanted to go back home but I didn't want to see my brother. I wasn't ready to face them yet. I knew Jade would be so angry and Brendan too. I was just as angry. Ma needed them now more than ever.

She was getting worse by the day. I wanted to call my siblings, I wanted them to help me out here. I couldn't help her on my own. I couldn't do this by myself, but they didn't come with me. They stayed with Pop. They made their decision.

I held Ma as she became cold. The fevers were getting worse and they shut our heat off. I grabbed some blankets and covered her, trying my best to keep her warm. I couldn't imagine how she felt right now. She didn't have any medicine to help her, she just continues to suffer and I can't do anything. We don't have enough money. I felt terrible everytime I had to leave Ma here alone. I knew she was in pain and I couldn't help her. I had to make money. It hurt so much to see her like this. She it still so beautiful and she's not giving up without a fight.

I had to work extra hours and all that was doing was making me more stressed. I've been drinking more and more. Not enough to get drunk but enough to feel nothing. I had to take care of Ma. If anything happened to her, my last resort was the Marines. I wasn't going back home. There was nothing for me there. Not anymore. All I could hope for is that Ma would be okay and everything would be okay. She had fallen asleep now that she was warm. "I love you, Ma" I whisper, kissing her head before falling asleep right next to her.