Chapter 36: I Want My Brother Back

I missed him, I missed him so much, he was like the other half of me, my little brother, now he was gone. I wanted to go, I wanted to go so badly but, Jade needed to finish school, no way she'd go to a new one, she was too unstable, I had to stay with her here, and I couldn't leave Tess behind. Naomi was really upset, more upset than I thought she would be, when I asked her she wouldn't say anything about it, she'd walk away or brush it off, I wondered if they were closer than they let us know.

Jade spent more time at Naomi's house, even when school started, they were together every day, and I did what I could to take care of her, I was usually at Tess' house unless Jade needed me, or if we needed to spend some time together, I messed up with Tommy, made him feel neglected, I wasn't around enough for him, I wouldn't do that for Jade.

Jade was angry all the time, she hated Tommy for doing that to her, she wouldn't even talk about him, always saying he's not our brother anymore, but I loved Tommy, no matter what and I wanted him to come home. I tried to contact them, nothing, just a single email from Tommy giving me the information to where they were, when I told Jade about it, she laughed in my face. "Fuck Tommy, he wants to leave good, we don't need him."

"Jade, he's our-"

"He is not our brother, Naomi and Joel are more family than he is." She growled, balling her fists and going to sit beside Naomi who was now the only person Jade trusted anymore. Joel looked upset about it too, they used to do a lot together, and Pop... Pop was never the same, part of the reason I stayed behind was because I thought I'd finally have him all to myself, maybe he'd even train me. But he had no interest in me, he was a frontrunner, no interest in the underdogs.

I trained with a man named Frank who was the best trainer I've ever met, ex UFC trainer and a really good guy. He taught me a lot, and I was glad I knew him. Joel even tagged along sometimes, and even the girls, who Frank would teach some basic stuff, making them feel like they were amazing, and they got pretty good at it, they would spar with each other and train with each other when they could.

I wondered what Tommy was doing as I sat in Tess' room on her bed, I rubbed my head, leaning it against the wall and sighing, I wondered how Ma was doing... If she was okay, they drove off so quick I didn't even get to say goodbye... I felt tears well up in my eyes but they went away when Tess walked in, I smiled at her, but she knew.

"Brendan... Babe..." She sighed, sitting next to me and pulling my head into her lap, I looked up at her beautiful face, pushing her hair behind her ear and looking into her eyes. I couldn't imagine waking up to a world without her, and had I gone... I would lose her, I couldn't, I loved Tess, I was so sure, she was the one man, and Tommy couldn't understand that.

"I'm alright" she frowned at me and brought her face down, bringing her soft lips to mine and holding my face in her gentle hands. "I love you, Tess" I whispered and her eyes lit up, that was the first time I told her, and that look in her eyes made me realize I never wanted to stop.

"I love you too, Brendan" she whispered back, kissing me again. I held her to my body, her and Jade were all I had left. I wondered when I'd see my brother again, if I'd see my brother again and how different he'd be when he'd come back.