03. eccentric

#FREEYOURBODY
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"You look cute today," one of the higher-up-the-food-chain girls commented with a warm smile. Amber shook with trepidation, but held her ground and mumbled "thanks."

She passed a mirror hoping to avoid the temptation of looking at her reflection. Maybe if she stopped caring, everything would be less . . . of a nightmare.

Amber lifted her eyes and walked into her first class feeling her fingers curl into her palm with her sweater bundled between. Her dark hair was all pulled onto her left shoulder and she slipped her book-bag off her shoulders before she sat in her desk.

The classroom was filled with life as students chattered amongst each other, and for a minute, Amber realized that she didn't belong.

"Hey, Amber," the boy who sat behind her greeted. His grey eyes penetrating her soul.

She gave him a small smile and turned back in her seat feeling the slight flutter in her chest. Why did it seem like when he looked at her he made her feel beautiful?

He tapped on her shoulder, "How was your weekend?" Amber slightly turned seeing that he leaned over his desk trying to get closer to her.

Slightly claustrophobic and shocked, she pulled back, "Good. How about you?"

"Could have been better. Did you do your homework?" Her smile faded and she held back the question she always wanted to shout at her classmates, "Is it because I'm Asian?"

How predictable, she thought and sighed, "Yes, I did my homework. When do I not?" Her tone became defensive and hard.

The boy blinked, "I'm not asking for your homework, I was just wondering if you understood the content." He was slightly hurt and Amber felt guilty.

Her heart sank and drowned in the acid of her stomach. She held her trembling lower lip between her teeth, "Hank, I'm sorry."

"No, I understand. I'm sorry for coming across like that." His grey eyes pulling away from her and to his hands. He always wore bands around his wrists.

At that moment, Amber felt like dying. Hank, the nicest guy she's ever known, already distanced himself from her. She wished she could take back the words and just start all over, but she knew it was impossible.

She turned in her desk holding back the stinging tears.

This was her fate.