09. eccentric

#FREEYOURBODY
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Charlie pulled Amber aside as they approached the corn maze together. The guys all laughed and joked about the Halloween themed corn maze across from the normal one, and the girls all glared at them not even accepting the invitation to go across to the horror corn maze.

Amber watched Hank from the corner of her eye before they entered the maze as he and the little boy started to walk towards the corn maze. Her cheeks blazed and she smiled to herself walking beside Charlie into the maze.

Her best friend looked down at her and smirked, "What's that smile about?"

"Nothing," Amber lied and momentarily forgot about how she didn't want to have fun. She didn't want to enjoy this night - the night where she might actually enjoy herself thinking she was just as beautiful as social as Charlie.

No, no. Amber couldn't let that happen.

Once they stepped in, the crisp autumn breeze seemed to pick up. The only source of guidance was the glowing blue sky above their heads and the peaking moon. It wasn't even 7pm yet and the night's beauty was already out.

Even a few stars began to brush against the outer regions of the sky above the heads of the citizens.

Amber giggled with Charlie as they followed the boys who were pretending to know what direction they were supposed to go.

Unfortunately, Charlie and Amber were separated without any notice. Evan had distracted Amber by linking his arm with hers and giving her his mega-watt smile that blinded not only her eyes but her heart.

He was very attractive, and yet, Amber felt like she was being deceived. Her stomach sank in rememberance that she wasn't as beautiful or friendly as her best friend - Amber would never be able to appeal to Evan or any guy that she was pretty enough, slim enough, cute enough, funny enough, or even just . . . enough.

She was so busy drowning in her worries that she had been separated from Evan. Her throat closed and she couldn't even bring herself to call for her best friend.

Amber closed her eyes and shuffled her feet through the dirt, leaves, and crumpled corn stalks on the ground to find the way out.

She gasped and clutched her chest as she almost ran into a familiar face.

"Well hey!" Hank greeted with a smile. The boy gripping onto his hand looked at Amber with curious eyes.

"Oh, Hank," she breathed trying to catch her breath - she was still slightly startled.

He nodded his head and glanced down at the boy, "This is my nephew, Carson." Amber blushed seeing the boy stare at her.

She didn't know whether to be offended or flattered, but she crouched and held her hand out to the boy.

Carson shook her hand and held his chin up. She smiled and giggled, "Nice to meet you, Carson. I'm Amber, your uncle's friend."

Hank watched with admiration as the two began to fall into an easy conversation about school.

He wished he could see the happiness in her eyes then every day he looked at her.

So, when he looked up and searched for a shooting star, he prayed to God that this one girl lives the life she wants to live, loving herself, and showing her beauty to others.

That was his one and only wish.