24. eccentric

#FREEYOURBODY
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Amber and Hank decided to eat at the nearest restaurant - IHOP. It wasn't a very busy night, there were still people gathered at the restaurant at 11pm.

Hank decided to pay for the dinner only to make Amber slightly guilty for having him pay so she pulled out a $20 bill for the tip.

That night, over the delicious fluffy pancakes, they talked about anything they could think of.

Movies, adventures, dreams, embarrassing crushes, and at one point, it reached insecurities.

Amber watched as Hank picked at his wrist bands and she grabbed his free hand, grasping it in comfort.

He avoided her eyes and played with the pool of syrup on his plate with his form as he cleared his throat and confessed, "I used to cut myself."

She held her breath.

Hank continued, "It was bad - it was a habit I got into. I used to be . . . some sort of skinny, dork. I wasn't even smart, I'm still not, and," he exhaled a nervous laugh, "I started to cut my wrists, but then I scolded myself because it was too cliché and obvious, so I cut my hips and thighs. Reasons why I don't go shirtless like most guys. Also, I don't have a six-pack like them."

Amber lifted her eyes to him.

"I have a four pack. I'm very embarrassed of it." He gave her a tight-lipped grin.

The two stared at each other before laughing. If they weren't laughing, they would have been crying.

And it would be harder for Amber to stop crying.