Chapter Twenty-Nine

My eyes opened to the sound of somebody vomiting. I rubbed my eyes before slowly walking into the bathroom and seeing Luke throwing up into the toilet.

I gagged before starting to rub his back. He instantly relaxed at my touch before flushing the toilet and hitting his back against the wall. I sat next to him, lacing my fingers with his and squeezing his hand.

"Remind me to never drink alcohol again." He groaned before laying his head on my shoulder. I laughed, rolling my eyes.

"You'll do it anyway, Lukie." Luke's eyes narrowed before pinching my waist. I jumped, a laugh escaping my mouth. He raised an eyebrow at me before smirking and starting to tickle my sides.

I could feel my face starting to turn red. I started to kick my legs but Luke held me down by sitting on my legs. I squealed, clawing at his hands.

"Stop, stop!!" I yelled through the giggles and he finally stopped, but only to throw up.

*****

Graduation is next week.

I leave next week.

The reality of things literally just hit me in the face. I was going to America in a week and I've only packed three things, one of Luke's shirts (so he wouldn't steal it back), and two of my mum's shirts.

Luke and Grace decided to take me to the beach today. I was more than happy to go since my house was pretty creepy with just me inside. I grabbed one of my mint green bikinis and slipped it on, covering it up with a white, almost see-through, tank top.

I grabbed my bag and walked out of the empty house, locking the door behind me and running up the Hemmings's house.

Grace answered the door with her hair in an incredibly messy bun. She smiled and pulled me into a hug before basically dragging me into the house.

Music played loudly and I got the impression that Liz wasn't home and the twins were home alone. I followed her upstairs and she put her finger to her lips before swinging the door open fast causing Ashton and Luke to panic and fall to the ground, both of their faces red as tomatoes.

"Hi baby!" Luke cheered from the floor, waving at me. Grace and I both laughed before walking into the room. I leaned down and kissed Luke, causing him to smile.

He stood up, wrapping his arms around me. Why was he being so touchy? I didn't mind though. He pressed his lips to mine one more time before turning to Grace and Ashton.

"Let's go!" He almost screamed. He grabbed my hand and ran downstairs. I laughed at how excited he was.

We climbed into the car, Luke getting drive since he got there first. Grace and Ashton hopped into the backseat, Luke eyeing the two from the mirror. I rolled my eyes, slapping his arm and telling him to start driving.

We got there pretty fast since we lived close. As soon as I stepped out of the car the smell of salt and ice cream filled my nostrils.

"Luke! Can we get ice cream?!" I asked excitedly, hopping up and down. He smiled at me and grabbed my hand.

"Sure baby, whatever you want."

***

I sat against my mother's grave, tears rolling down my cheeks. I had to go to graduation without her. Luke didn't know about me coming here constantly.

If he did he would hate it. He wants me to be happy. He keeps saying that's what she would want.

Gwen Pehrson
Beloved mother, friend
May 14 2011

There was more about my mum than that. She was one of the nicest and funniest people you'll ever meet, the most compassionate and caring. She was there when my father wasn't.

I could never lie to her, she would always figure me out. She practically knew Luke and I would end up together.

I wish I could've told her that I loved her one last time.

"Hey mum." I sniffled, playing with the petals of the roses I brought her.

"This um, might be the last time I see you for a while. Dad's taking me to America in two days." The wind blew my hair in my face, a few hair strands getting stuck in my mouth.

"I love you mum. I wish you were still here, I wish I didn't have to go to America. I don't want to leave. I love it here. Luke misses you too, you know? Him and I talk about you everyday." I wiped my eyes.

"I brought you these to remind you of me while I'm gone. I know that they won't last for that long but Luke promised to always put new roses out every week."