Chapter Eighteen

"That was your friend?! What the hell, he left you!" I screamed at mum, tears streaming down my face. When I locked eyes with him my mind went to all those nights I spent comforting my mum for what he did to the two of us.

The sadness and confusion was gone, it was all anger now. My hands were shaking as I stared at mum. Her eyes that are identical to mine watered and my heart broke.

"He's different, Rose." Was all she said before leaving me in the kitchen by myself.

I slumped into a chair and buried my head into my hands. I sniffled, wiping my nose and eyes, making sure not to mess up my mascara even though I'm pretty sure I already have. He's not worth my tears. I repeated over and over to myself.

"Hey, are you okay?" I heard Luke ask. I shook my head, an inhuman sound escaping my lips. He walked over to me and took my face into his hands, using the pad of his thumb to wipe my tears away.

"Do you want to go to my place? We can have our own dinner." He suggested in a soft voice. I shook my head, placing my hands on top of his.

"No, I need to face him. Luke I haven't seen him in ten years." My voice was still a little shaky from the recent crying. Luke smiled, lacing our fingers together.

"I love how brave you are." He kissed the top of my nose. I sniffled once more before following him into the dining room where mum and him were. I squeezed Luke's hand when I locked eyes with my dad.

It took everything in me not to mouth off to him before sitting in the chair that was the farthest away from my dad. The plates were already covered in the food she prepared which I soon realized was my father's favorite before he left.

I scooted my chair closer to Luke and made sure that our fingers were intertwined underneath so I wouldn't loose my temper. We started to eat silently seeing as if no one had anything to say but in reality I could've thrown a few colorful words in there every now and then.

Luke squeezed my hand which made me flicker my eyes toward him. He raised an eyebrow and mouthed 'what's wrong?'

"So is this your boyfriend Rose?" My father asked. I raised my head and glared at him, not willing to speak to him. He cleared his throat and looked at his food awkwardly.

"Yes, I'm Luke Hemmings." Luke answered for me. Dad nodded, spooning some of the soup into his mouth. I cringed at the slurping sound he made but shook it off.

"You seem like a nice young man." He commented giving Luke an approving nod. I stood up, the chair making a screeching sound when it slid behind me.

"I'm just going to get some air." Before mum could even open her mouth I took off. In that moment I was glad I was wearing converse.

I slammed the door behind me, running to the one place that I always felt good at. The park. I glanced at the empty playground once I stopped running. I found the only park bench that had a streetlight over it then sat down.

Tears fell freely down my face and sobs escaped my lips. How could he just leave and come back, acting like he did nothing? He caused so much pain for the two of us. Me being only ten years old I felt like something was wrong with me, that's why he left.

That's when I started dying my hair. My naturally hair color was in fact the same as my dad's which is why I dyed it. I hated looking at my hair and being reminded that he left. So I dyed it the nice blonde that my mum has but ended up hating it. It wasn't until freshman year that I finally settled with lilac.

"Are you okay?" A feminine voice asked. I froze, wiping my eyes and nose so they didn't think I was weak. I lifted my head up and gave the girl a fake smile. She looked like she was my age, maybe a little older.

"I'm Eve, I couldn't help notice that you were crying. Are you okay?" She asked once more. I stared at Eve.

She looked like me. The only thing that was different were her eyes are a dark blue, sort of resembling my father's. She tilted her head to the side and I cleared my throat.

"Sorry, um, I'm Rose. And I guess I'm okay."

Luke

Rose's mum, Gwen, paced back and fourth. None of us knew where Rose was. After she ran I looked for her for an hour before giving up and going back to her house where her douche of a father was comforting Gwen.

I chewed on my fingernail, something I've always done when I got nervous. All of us perked up when the door unlocked and in stumbled a drunk Rose.

Before she fell I ran over and caught her, draping her almost useless arm over my shoulder. I started to drag Rose upstairs when I heard her dad say something.

"This is your fault. I don't blame her." Was all I said before dragging her upstairs. I smiled proudly for saying what no one else would say.

>>>>

DOUBLE UPDATE! Hope you guys liked it.

Vote and comment!