2. Panic

Sauli's POV:

When the ambulance arrives at the hospital, Adam is carried inside the building by some paramedics right away.

"Will he be okay?" I ask them, trying to follow them. I get no answer.

"What happens to my boyfriend? IS HE GOING TO BE ALIVE??" I ask in tears. They just ignore me, carry Adam into a surgery room and close the door before I can get in.

"Wait, no!" I pound at the door. Suddenly I feel a hand on my shoulder. A doctor was standing next to me.

"I'm sorry, you can't get in there! Mr. Lambert will undergo surgery now and the wound on his head will be sutured. I can see that you have some bruises as well. Come with me, I'll take care of them."

I take a step back.

"I'm fine, I don't need a medication. Just tell me if Adam is going to be okay!"

"I'm sorry, sir, we don't know yet."

They don't know. Maybe he's going to die. Maybe I will never see his beautiful smile again. Never laugh with him again. Never hear his voice again...
I would be lonely. I would never be happy again...

I don't say anything. I can't. The doctor grabs my arm carefully and leads me into a medication room, where he nurses my small wounds. Some glass splinters from the car window are still stuck in my left arm and have to be removed. I haven't even noticed them. I can't feel anything besides the deep feeling of emptyness.

After the doctor is finished he leads me into the waiting room. That's all I remember. I can't think about anything else but Adam. Maybe he's going to die.

I bury my face in my hands and begin to cry again. It feels like I won't be able to ever stop crying. I've never thought that one day can change that much. That one moment can make my life so much worse.

While I'm crying I realize other patients coming and going, doctors and nurses telling the waiting people news. God, I wish the would also come to me and tell me, that Adam will survive. I wish, I hope and I pray for Adam. Although I'm not even religious.

I don't know how long I've been sitting here now. One hour? Three hours? Or even longer...
After ages a blonde nurse comes in.

"Mr. Koskinen?"

I uncover my face and slowly look up to her through my red swollen eyes.

"Mr. Lambert's surgery is done and everything went well. He's still sleeping, but will wake up soon."

That was seriously the best thing I've ever heard in my life! I've never been so relieved! He's okay! I smile through my tears and get up from the chair.

"Really? Can I see him?"

That's all I want now. To see my baby again.

"You can see him, but only through the glass wall. You can get in when he wakes up though."
Okay that sounds understandable. I follow her through the long hallway until we get to the intensive care unit. The nurse stops in front of one glass wall. I come closer carefully. I'm a bit afraid. How will Adam look like?

When I'm close enough I can see him lying in a bed, connnected with many beeping monitors, tubes everywhere. He had a bandage around his head. It makes me so sad to see him like this. Another tear rolls down my cheek. I put my hands on the glass wall and lean my head against it. I really hope he's going to wake up soon...

I spent minutes on watching Adam. Hoping that he will finally open his eyes. Come on, Adam, please! After one hour he still hasn't woken up, although he should. I wait and wait....

Suddenly one generator starts beeping faster and louder than normally. I don't know what's happening. What's that supposed to mean? I'm sure that beeping is a bad sign.What happens to Adam? I just want to call out for help, as three doctors and a nurse open the glass door and run into Adam's room. The nurse gave Adam an injection, the doctors start to give him electic shocks. Everything goes so fast. I can't think. What's happening? WILL ADAM BE OKAY?

I'm so in panic, I can't breathe. The beeping of the generator gets faster and faster. One of the doctors shouts "We're losing him!" I stood there without making any move. I can't do anything, but watch. Watch how they fail trying to safe him. I feel so useless. So scared. I stop breathing for a while.

Then I hear that loud never ending sound from one generator. That sound that tells you, that the person died. Adam died. That was the last thing I can think, before I break down on the floor.

I almost cried while writing this chapter. Let's hope that will never happen in real life...