03 ; Confessions of a Genius Pt. 1

For the millionth time in the past ten minutes, Joan squirmed on top of Malia. You'd think that after awhile she'd be comfortable on the were-coyote's lap; nope, not one single fiber in her being felt comfortable. The silence incasing the small Jeep wasn't helping her either. 

          Everyone was off into their own little worlds, most likely wondering why Kate had taken Derek, or if he was even still alive. At least that was what Joan was thinking about. The worst thoughts entered her mind as she thought about Derek possibly being dead. Images of his dead body swarmed her brain, causing her to squeeze her eyes shut and shake her head softly.

          Malia silently squeezed Joan's waist reassuringly, smelling her anxiety and dread, before bluntly asking, "Okay, I'll ask. Who's Kate Argent?"

          "Uh, I'd like to know too," Kira quickly added.

          "Well," Stiles starts bitterly. "we were at her funeral. So, I'd like to know how she got out of a casket that was buried six feet underground."

          "She was never in it," Joan explained, looking up at Stiles in the front seat. 

          Lydia nods in agreement with Joan, "She was Allison's aunt. And a total sociopath." 

          "You don't have to talk about it now if you don't want to," Kira proclaims, sensing the groups resistance towards the topic of 'Kate Argent'.

          "Yes, he does," Malia insists immediately.

          Scott apprehensively nods his head, looking back at the four girls in the back seat, "Yeah, she's right. You guys should know. You need to know."

          "Kate was the one who set the fire that killed most of Derek's family," Joan explains, looking between Malia and Kira.

          "Some of them survived, like Cora and Peter," Scott provides. 

          "A very angry Peter," Lydia mumbles, causing Joan, Stiles, and Scott to nod in agreement. 

          "Yeah, he's the one who bit and turned me."

          Lydia then adds, "And the one who finally caught up to Kate and killed her."

          "And we saw her buried," Stiles says, having yet to understand how Kate could still be alive.

          "No. All we saw was a closed casket, remember? She wasn't in it," Joan provides, remembering the closed, wooden box that should have held Kate Argent.

          Scott nods, finishing Joan's explanation, "The Calaveras heard that Kate had been killed by an alpha's claws. They wanted to make sure she was really dead. Her body was healing. More and more, as she got closer to a full moon. She was coming back. So they switched out the bodies. If a hunter is bit, they have to take their own life before they change. The Calaveras, they treat the code like law. They make it their responsibility to enforce it."

          "Good for her," Malia says. "I wouldn't do it either."

          "Would you kill half a dozen people to get out? People who had families and people they loved?" Joan asks, slightly bitter. All this talk about Kate brought back terrible memories of not only the once 'dead' Argent, but also of Allison and how upset she was when her aunt died. Joan could only imagine how Allison would feel about this situation if she were still alive.

          "So Kate's a werewolf now?" Kira asks.

          "I don't know. You know, there's a saying, 'sometimes the shape you take reflects the person you are'," Scott explains to Kira.