two » increasing function

dear infinity,

we met again today. actually, we met again tonight. i thought our first encounter would be our last, but i am so glad i was so wrong.

you walked into my family's diner near closing time. i was surprised you weren't with your friends; after all, every time i'd seen you at school, you'd been completely surrounded by people. in class, at your locker, during lunch, as you walk out of the bathroom—no, i haven't been stalking you. i (and you, i suppose) have fallen victim to the baader-meinhof phenomenon, also known as the frequency illusion, in which something one has recently discovered seems to pop up everywhere. the way my eyes instinctively lock on you has nothing to do with the way my heart rate speeds up every time i hear your laugh or see your smile.

and it definitely had nothing to do with the way i could barely write—nevermind legibly—down your order because you just looked so beautiful sitting there, joking around with a guy you'd only spoken to once in your life, nevermind the fact that you'd only noticed me because i was the one who noticed you. i was grateful, however, because business had been slow that night, and i'd already sent the rest of the staff home. having someone to talk to is almost always better than not, and the fact that my someone was you was even better.

you are my venus, shining so brightly that most others might mistake you for just another star in the night sky. however, i can spot the differences between you and the millions and billions of other dazzling celestial bodies, and, let me tell you, you are something to behold. you are one in an infinity—pardon the pun.

so i invited you to look for venus with me in a couple of nights. for a moment, i doubted myself, wondering if i had spoken too soon, if i had wanted something more than what either of us was prepared to give, but then you smiled and agreed. you soon excused yourself, however, because it really was growing late, and i understood. when you left, i realized that it was a half hour past closing time, and dad told me to take out the trash tonight.

i think it's amazing how fast time flies by when you have someone to spend it with.

sincerely,
beyond