Chapter 1

'Hey Cookie, d'ya feel like 'angin' out tonigh'?' Alex says with a naughty grin. We just come out of High School and I hear my phone ringing.

'Yeah, 'f course,' I say to Alex. 

'I'm sorry, It's June, I have to take this,' I add and I pick up my phone.

'Wha's up?'

'Hey Hailey, I'm in Sheffield righ' now, so I thought maybe we could catch up,' June sounds cheerful. 

'I'm at Starbucks.' 

'I'll be there in a minute.'

June is always travelling. She never really had a home. She lived here in Sheffield for a year and we became best friends. Then her parents moved to Germany (I've no idea why) and she couldn't stay here. But sometimes she still visites me.

'Wow Cookie, you look good!' June says when she hugs me.

'I didn't know I've changed.' 

'You look more... Confident,' she adds.

'Well, I take that as a good thing,' I chuckle.

'I've missed yer,' June says and she orders a coffee for me.

'So... Where d'ya live now?' I ask, sipping my coffee chocolate caramel.

'Italy. It's a beautiful country.' 

'Italy? Wow great!' I say impressed, looking at June's bright green eyes.

'Yeah, it is. So how are you?' She runs her hand through her blond hair and looks at me.

'I'm... Good. Nothin' special...' 

'So there's no guy or somet?' She grins. 

'No, I'm still single, if that's what ya mean,' I laugh.

'The only guys in my life are my brother, Matt, Nick, Miles and...... Alex.'

'Aha, so Alex it is, eh? You like 'im, don't ya?' 

'What? No, I don't! I know him since I was three! That would be so weird!' June smirks complacent and my cheeks turn red.

'No, June! What the hell! He's my friend, nothin' more!' I try to convince her.

'But that doesn't mean you don't like him, does it?' She raises one eyebrow. 

'Please, just leave it!' I start getting a little tired of her. 'I should go,' I say, but before I leave, June says: 

'Wait, I've got a present for ya. Your birthday is friday, right'?'

'Yeah, I turn eighteen! I'm gonna give a big party. Will you be there?' I ask.

'I'm sorry, I can't...' Actually I don't want her to come - because she isn't really a part of my friends anymore - so I'm kind of relieved that she can't be there, even though I do miss her. And I do love her.

She grabs a package from her bag and hands it over to me. I open it.
'Oh, thank you! That's very pretty!' I say sincerely. It's a tight black dress with a deep neckline and lace. Quite sexy. 'Really beautiful. Thank you so much,' I say. I hug her and then we say goodbye.