Chapter 23

First Jack and Hailey sit in the kitchen and talk. I don't think they remember I can hear them, but I don't care. I am really curious and I like to hear everything they talk about. And they talk about everything. But when I hear them kissing, I can't take it anymore. It's my kitchen too and I can't ignore the sound. So I walk in and pretend to search for food. I look at them as if I didn't already know they were kissing in the kitchen and say: 'Oh please, I have to puke!'
Hailey looks at me angrily and they disappear to her new room.

'Oh and eh... Do it safe, or you get pregnant and this time it won't be a miscarriage, 'cause this guy is full of testosterone!' I scream. I regret it, but it just slipped out. I am so jealous. I'm sure Hailey haven't told Jack about the miscarriage she had and I guess I've screwed op everything for her now.

Hailey rushes out of her room and slaps me, screaming: "You jerk!" She runs back and I just stand there. Stock - still. Shocked by the fact that she just hit me.

Hailey POV
'Wait what? That's a stupid joke, right?' Is the first thing Jack asks me. Then I can't stop myself from running towards him and slapping him on his face. I cry. He promised me he wouldn't tell anyone that I had been pregnant. And I lost the baby, but still, it was our secret. He has just ruined everything. My relationship with Jack was just normal and nice and now he has ruined it. Jack couldn't know about this.

'Well, it seems like it wasn't a joke...' Jack mutters. He swallows. 'You had a miscarriage?!' I can't stop crying.
'Please don't leave me! It was an accident! I got pregnant. But I didn't mean to... And I should've told you, but I was too scared. And I - please, Jack, don't leave me!' I panic.

'Hailey, why the hell should I leave you?'

'I... I... Wait, you're not mad because I didn't tell you?'

'No, I mean... A little. But I forgive you. It's alright, Haileybabe.'

I smile at him. I really thought I was going to lose him, because of what Alex said. I hate him. I will never get back to him. I start crying really loud again. I am sure Alex can hear me. I don't like that, but he actually deserves it. Why does he always make me cry? Jack hugs me.

'Jack... Don't you ever call me Haileybabe again,' I say and he laughs.

A few minutes later, when Jack has left, Alex walks in. I am sitting on the bed, my legs curled up and my face turned so that Alex can't see me. My eyes are wet. I feel terribly angry.

'Cookie?'

'Shut up, I'm not yer Cookie!' I yell. I hide my face in my hoodie.
'Hailey, I am so so sorry. It just slipped out...' - 'It slipped out?!' I turn around. 'Jesus Alex! How could you possibly say that? Do you think that makes me feel better? You promised me, Alex!'

'But don't you know how hard it is to see you and Jack together all the time? In my own house! Yes, I'm jealous! I am fucking jealous! And I'm sorry! But it hurts, you know. It breaks me!'
I feel uncomfortable. Does he care? Does he still care about me? Am I really such a bitch, that I don't see how much I'm hurting him?

'Oh... Well... I'm sorry...' I say a little confused. Alex looks like a poor puppy with his big brown beautiful eyes.

'Maybe we should start over.' Alex nods in response. After that he quickly leaves the house. I don't know for how long, but it feels like hours. I feel guilty. You don't have to, I keep telling myself, but it doesn't work. So that's when I start writing a song. I guess it's about Alex... But I'm not sure.
When Alex is back, he starts cooking himself dinner. I just sit in my room, listening to Pj Harvey

'Hailey, would you please turn down your music volume? I can't hear my own music.' I sigh. I wanted to start over, but if he's going to complain about everything. Hallelujah.

'Then turn off your music and listen with me,' I suggest.

'No, I'm not in the mood for Pj Harvey.'

'How can you not be in the mood for Pj Harvey?'

'Just turn down your fockin' volume!' He says annoyed.

'Jesus! I'm sorry!' I mutter. I do what he asked and close the door. It will be really hard to be roommates with him.

'GODDAMN! JESUS CHRIST!' I hear and I giggle.

'What the hell are ya doin'?' I shout.

'Just... Leave me alone!' He screams. I walk into the kitchen and see the mess he made. His food looks disgusting and the half of it is on the floor. I laugh. Alex is a terrible cook.

'Are ya really gonna eat that?' I ask sarcastically. He gives me an angry look.

'I'm sorry!' I grin. I take one of the pans and help him cleaning up.

'Why can't you just go away?'

'Because it's my kitchen too. I have to cook here too yeno,' I say. 'Shall I order pizza?'
Alex gives in. He doesn't really have a choice if you look at his burned food. I chuckle.