Chapter 20

Hailey POV
I feel miserable. Alex doesn't pick up his phone and I really don't know what to do. I feel so alone. I need Alex to get through this. I need to talk to someone. So that's when I make this huge mistake, which is telling my mother. I can't believe I am really telling her, but I am. I'm an idiot.

'Mom, I need yer help.'

'Yes, honey, you can tell me anything,' she says and that makes me feel safe, telling her. I used to tell her everything when I was little. So I just spit the words out. I thought she could help me, because of her experience and all that.

'Well... I am... Pregnant.' After I have said it, I immediately regret it. Why the hell did I tell her?

'Wait, what?' Her eyes grow. 'WHAT?'

I realize it's the most stupid thing I've ever done. Now she's gonna panic, she will hate Alex even more than she already did, she will be really mad at me, and maybe the worst: she will tell dad.

'No! HOW?' She looks at me like I'm a stranger.

'Was it Alex? It was Alex, right?'
I don't reply. I just can't. I squeeze my thumb with my other fingers and bite my lips.

'WAS IT?' My mother yells.

'You said I could tell you everything...' I sob. 'But now you're mad at me and it's not my fault...'

'Wait, did he rape you?'

'What? NO! No mom! What are you thinkin'? Jesus!'

'Hailey, I want you to tell me what happened. Look at me!'

'You already know what happened! I mean, how do you get pregnant?' I don't even mean it funny, because I'm still crying.

'But was it against your will?' She asks.

'No! No, mom, I am eighteen and it's none of yer business!'

'Then why are you telling me?'

'Yeah, that's what I'm wondering too!' I yell.

'I want to help you, I really do!' She says, but I don't want her help anymore.

'Then stop asking those stupid questions! I just need you to listen to me and to give advice! Not to be mad at Alex, 'cause it isn't his fault either!'
My mother is silent.

'So, what would you do?' I ask, a little more carefully. My mother stares straightforward.

'Hello? Do you hear me?'

'I don't know... How long have you been pregnant?'

'6 months' I mutter.

'Why didn't you tell me?'

'Mom!'

'Hailey!'
I look at her angrily. It's not funny! She looks down and says:
'I'm sorry. Have you been going to a midwife?'

'No... Is that necessary?'

'Yes, of course!' She sighs. 'My god. Pregnant on eighteenth...'
I start crying.

'Tomorrow we're going to a midwife,' she says and I nod.

'And how did Alex react?'

'Shocked. And now he avoids me,' I sob. She hugs me.

'Darling darling...' she smiles weakly. I know she hates Alex even more now, but I'm glad she doesn't say so.

'I love you, Hailey. You know that,' she says. I bury my face in her shoulder. Her shirt is getting wet from my tears.

'I love you,' I say.

Alex POV
'I needa call Hailey...'

'Why?' Anna asks. She caresses my cheek and smiles. She's so tempting. She sits down next to me and I feel her hair tickling against my shoulder. I can't suppress the desire that I feel for her lips. I kiss her. Stupid.
She rolls over me and I giggle, while she stays there, laying on top of me. I rub her bag, my hand searching a way under her shirt. You have to stop this.
She presses kisses on my chest. Then I stop her.

'I'm sorry, I have to call her.'

'What? Right now?' Anna looks annoyed.

'Yes, right now.' I grab my phone and call her.

'Alex?' I hear Hailey with a hoarse voice. I guess she cried. Oh god! Because of me?

'Hey, you okay?' I ask, already knowing the answer. Anna starts kissing my cheek and my neck. I want her to stop. And she knows.

'No, I'm not!' She weeps. But it's not in a nagging way. She sounds really upset.

'I talked to my mom and...'

'My god! How did that go?' I ask and when I finish my question, Anna roughly starts kissing my lips. She moans. I try to push her off me, but she starts moaning even louder. She laughs. Does she think this is funny? That I'm playing a game or something?

'Alex, is there someone with you?' Hailey asks disappointed. 'Is Anna with you?' Her voice is drowned with hate. I can't say a word. Anna looks at me quizzically, but I am sure she exactly knows what she's doing.

'No, I'm alone,' I lie. I can't do this to Hailey. Anna laughs satisfied (she tries to make it look innocent) and pushes me to the bed. That makes me groan, even though I don't want to. And I'm sure it sounds really wrong. She makes me drop the phone and kisses me again. I stop her, but I am sure Hailey doesn't hear that part.