Chapter 9

'Hailey, we need to talk.' I can hear it's serious, 'cause Alex calls me Hailey and not "Cookie", like he normally does. I sit down on my bed with my phone in my hand and I wait for Alex to talk.
I see him through the window with his phone in his hand. He doesn't see me though.

'I'm listening,' I say as a sign he can start talking. I can hear him swallow.

'Anna wants us to stop seein' each other...' 

'What the hell! That's not her decision to make! What a bitch! That's rediculous!' I blurt out angrily. I hate her so much. The selfish bitch! Like she's the only person Alex may care about.

Alex doesn't say anything and suddenly I'm terribly scared to lose him. 

'No...' I mutter. 'No, Al, you're not gonna give up on us, are you?' 

Silence. 

'Are you?' I scream. Alex cries. Wait what? Alex CRIES? Anna made him fucking cry! He never cries! Now what do I do?

'Al, please say somethin',' I say, almost without sound. My lip starts trembling. 

'I- I told her I'd stop seein' you...' He sobs. His voice is hoarse. 'And my dad's angry with me. Again. I can't give a bloody party. I can't go out anymo'e. I've screwed up everythin'! I'm so sorry!'

It's silent for a while, except Alex's crying, and then he ends the conversation. 

'NOOOOO! ALEX, YOU BOODY SON OF A BITCH! DON'T YOU DARE LEAVING ME! YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE, I HATE YOU!' I scream. He has just ended our friendship on the freaking PHONE! I start crying. But really really crying. Very loud, with an irregular breath. I bury my head in my pillow and shout as loud as I can. Then I punch my fist against it.

'Hailey, you okay?' Jamie asks when I am downstairs, filling a glass with water. He can see I've cried. Of course he can, my eyes are red and my makeup is leaked.

'Never better.' I drink the glass in one gulp and choke. I start to cough loudly. Jamie puts a hand on my shoulder.

'What 'appened?'

'You should ask our FRIEND 'bout that,' I snap. 

'Who? Alex?' Jamie asks suprised. Alex and I never fight.

'Yeah, he and his cute girlfriend.' With tears in my eyes I put my empty glass with a thump on the countertop.

'Hey, it's okay, sissie.' Jamie puts his arms around me. I cry and dive away in his arms. It feels good to be comforted by my big brother, just like when I was little. But Alex always comforted me too. He always found a way to make me smile again.

'Anna doesn't want us to be together and Alex just agreed with that.'

'What? How could he do that to you?'

'I don't know!' I hide my face in his sweater. Alex was my everything. And now I feel so alone. I do have other friends, but without Alex it will be so... Empty...