Chapter 12: Section 7

Newt looked at Madeline sadly, almost as if he wanted her to love Thomas.

"Love as in... so much that... he would kill competition?"

"Newt!" Madeline groaned and looked away.

"I'm sorry... I couldn't think of a better answer." Newt said. Madeline forced herself to smile and she looked at him.

"Newt, what do you know about love?" She asked. Not in a hurtful way, but in a sincere asking sort of way. Newt shrugged in response and drank another gulp of water before answering.

"I don't know. Probably not much. But maybe before the maze I was a bloody love wizard. Who knows?"

Madeline laughed out loud which felt really good. She reached down and grabbed Newt's hand which scared him at first and he tensed, but after a few moments he relaxed and squeezed her hand back. Madeline smiled softly and looked up.

Just in time to see Thomas glaring at her. His eyes slowly lowered down to her hand which was intertwined with Newt's. He then raised his eyes back up to meet hers and she couldn't tell if he was angry or hurt. He just stood there glaring at her and Madeline felt her cheeks grow hot and she looked away, as if trying to act like she never saw him. Although, it was obvious she did. In the corner of her eye she saw Thomas turn away and begin talking to Minho and Madeline sighed in relief. She heard Newt give a small breath and then look over at her.

"He saw us."

"Of course he did. If he still thinks he has a chance with me he is terribly mistaken." Madeline retorted and Newt laughed but it quickly faded as he turned to face Madeline, still holding onto her hand.

"Listen to me. You have been through a shuck load of terrible things the past few days... well... years honestly. And I truly am sorry about all of it. You had a good life before Peter... passed. Didn't you?" Madeline tensed and accidentally gripped Newt's hand before replying in a low whisper.

"I was content. Life before Peter and my family died was the only life I knew so I can say that I was happy. But after the time I first got stung... I remembered part of my life before the maze and everything went downhill from there."

Newt nodded softly. "I'm sorry. Maybe when we get out of here, things will be better."

"I hope so, Newt."

"Well I wanted to let you know, we are here for you. I am here for you. You're my friend, Maddy, and I know you are going through some tough times, so are the rest of us. Don't ever feel like you are alone. Because you're not." The look in Newt's eye made Madeline almost cry. He seemed so compassionate and serious. Something she had never seen in the blonde-haired boy. Of course, Newt was always kind, but as he looked Madeline straight in the eye, he seemed softer.

"Thank you Newt.." Madeline gave Newt's hand another squeeze and let go.

"Alright! Sundown is coming! We gotta go guys!" Minho called out and groans were heard from a few boys. Madeline was refreshed from her conversation with Newt and she immediately stood up from the ground, ready to be free of the maze. The boys got all their stuff together quickly and it wasn't more than two minutes before the group was running once again.
*
*
*
"Come on, Chuck!" Madeline slowed her pace to grab the young boy's arm. The chunky boy was breathing heavily as Madeline took hold of him.

"We are literally there!" She pointed ahead of them towards a gigantic wall labeled with a massive, white "7" on it.

"I can almost smell Grievers." Chuck replied and struggled to keep up with Madeline as she pulled him along.

"Don't worry about it. We will all protect you. Come on!" She yelled before following the rest of the group into the "Blades". The Blades were tall and enormous metal flaps that were placed in a long line in front of Section 7. When they would turn, the blades would snap together to block off anyone from entering the section. Luckily for them, the several rows of blades were open and the group didn't waste anytime looking around. The ginormous flaps could decide to close at any time.

"Come on guys! We've basically made it!" Thomas called out as they ran through the rows of blades. Madeline's grip on Chuck's arm tightened and she basically dragged him along with her as she ran full speed.

"Madeline! Madeline, slow down!" He called out and Madeline apologized before slowing down to his requested pace. Honestly, she just wanted to get out of the stupid maze already. But even though she was dying to be free of it, so many memories were made inside of the maze. She was there for almost six years. She grew up there, she lost her family there, and she found a new family there. She felt a wave of sadness flood over her and as she ran, she turned around to take a final glance at the only home she knew. She let go of Chuck's arm and let him run ahead. She stopped and stared at the maze.

"Madeline! What are you doing?" She heard Thomas call after her. The second thing he had said to her since she found out he murdered Peter. Madeline didn't reply and kept on gazing at her home. The Maze.

"Madeline?" Thomas' voice was filled with worry. Madeline didn't budge at all. Flashbacks of her life filled her mind and Madeline began to feel that creeping feeling of insanity. It itched at her brain and it made her want to scream. Something was wrong with her. And it had been wrong for a while. A few seconds later, Madeline felt a hand grip her arm and she was pulled backwards. She almost squealed at the force and the slight pain of the person yanking her arm. She whipped around to see Thomas staring at her.

"What are you doing?"

"This was the only home I ever knew!" Madeline felt the haunting feeling of going psycho taunting her brain.

"Thomas! We can't waste any time!" Minho and the rest of the group had already entered Section 7. The entrance was a big circular hole that led you inside. Once inside, you were on a concrete "bridge". If you looked down on both sides of the bridge there was an abyss of blackness and who knew what was lurking in the dark down there. At the end of the bridge there was another circular hole, but the entry was blocked off. That's where the device that Thomas and a few others found inside a dead Griever came into the picture.

"Madeline. I know this is hard, but we don't have time! If we are going to get out of here, we have to do it now... Okay?" Thomas softened his tone at the last part of his sentence and let go of Madeline's arm. She took one more look at the Maze before sighing nodding to Thomas, trying to shake off her feeling of totally losing it.

"Let's get out of here."