22 - Strawberries

Chapter 22 - Strawberries

[Recap: A new greenie by the name of Thomas arrives, a boy who has the name Wendy has been whispering in her sleep the past couple of days. At the bonfire, Wendy appears awake for the first time in four weeks.}

_

Newt suddenly felt the world shift into place again, like he was able to regain his ability to live. He didn't care that everyone was watching, he ran to her like she was the key to leaving this damn nightmare, he ran to her like she was the last person on her, he ran to her because, shit, did he miss her.

When he reached her, he threw his arms around her neck and pulled her to his chest, feeling her gasp in surprise. He didn't care that he only ran his fingers through Isabella's hair, because Wendy was here now, she was awake, and Newt missed her so much. He tangled his fingers in her brown locks with ease and inhaled her scent, smelling the sweet aftermath of the garden strawberries enter his body. It took seconds, but finally, Wendy relaxed in his grip and wrapped her arms around his torso.

"I didn't think you missed me this much." she laughed with such sadness and nervousness that Newt chuckled himself, "I didn't like, die, right? Because I was so not expecting you to hug me."

Newt pulled back and could feel tears falling from his eyes, and when Wendy looked up at his face, she felt her heart breaking and putting itself back together at the same time. She reached up and wiped his cheeks of the tears and poked his cheek, "Smile, pretty boy, I'm alive and annoying as hell again. I really do hope I was dreaming earlier though, I mean, for a second I thought that there was a boy named Thomas here." Wendy laughed, but it died down as soon as she saw Newt's face shift.

"Uh, Wendy. The new Greenie came up the box today." Newt whispered to her and her eyes widened.

"Thomas?" she asked him, and he nodded.

She looked at him with pure fear that Newt felt suddenly sick without really knowing why, "What's wrong?"

"I know him." she said loudly, causing everyone to gasp in awestruck. "Thomas, I saw him in my dreams. I think they were memories. Newt, I got some of my memories back."

She could feel all the Gladers close in as she began speaking, everyone curious as to what she had gained back. She looked behind Newt to see Alby, Gally, and Minho watching and listening carefully.

"Isabella," she started off, "I-I was best friends with her, before we came up the box. We lived together when we were kids, our moms were best friends. The creators took us away at the same time, we've been together ever since, at least until she left up the box. They chose her to go first, said that they would send me in with Thomas. But something happened, the creators, they said that Isabella was too much of an influence, that you all would find a way out without Thomas because of Isabella. They had to take her out, they had to take her out of the Glade because you all would've found a way out without Thomas. They threw me in to correct her mistake. Said I'd be killed if I did a bad job, if I messed up, I'd be killed. Oh my god, Newt. I don't know if I'm screwing up or not, they could kill me—" she started panicking, her body shaking as tears left her eyes. Newt grabbed her once again and embraced her, stroking her hair as he coaxed her with his words.

"You'll be fine, Wendy." he said to her, and without thinking, kissed the top of her head swiftly. "No one is going to kill you as long as I'm here, Minho too. The bloke would kill for you. Good that?"

Wendy tried to smile, but something inside her seemed to switch on. She looked up at Newt and shook her head, "Thomas is the key to everything."

"What?" Minho spoke up, finally making his way over. The Asian was holding back from hugging Wendy and kissing her and telling her how much he missed her. He had to distance herself from her or else she'd find out and they'd stop talking. Distance was what he needed to do. He would never have a chance with her; Newt was already winning her over. He could see it happening all over again. The way they acted, he knew he was seeing a repeat of Newt and Isabella, except this time, it was with Wendy.