37 - Throw The Spears, War is Coming

Chapter 37 - Throw The Spears, War is Coming

[Recap: The doors do not close for the very first time, the outcome being that grievers enter the glade and kill almost all of the boys inside. After, Thomas injects himself with the grievers venom to retrieve his memories.]

Wendy trudged down the stairs of Homestead with Newt by her side; she was wide awake and anger coursed through her like fire, and not the good kind. She couldn't believe that Gally was actually going to banish Teresa, Thomas, and her, or thought that he was going to. The guy was acting out of fear, and boy did Wendy want to punch the guy in the face.

When the pair reached the Slammer, Newt crouched down as Wendy fell to her knees and looked inside.

"He waking up?" she asked Teresa, and just as she said that, Thomas' eyes fluttered open.

"Hey." Teresa spoke, looking over him with a smile. Wendy let out a sigh of relief and bit her lip as he shifted. "Are you okay?"

"What the hell were you thinking?" Chuck finally bursted out, and Wendy had to stifle a laugh as they all looked at him with awe.

"What happened?" Thomas asked.

"Gally's taken control." Wendy told him, her hand clenching onto one of the bars as Minho shifted towards her more. "Said we had a choice, well the rest do besides you, Teresa, and me, said we either join him or get banished at sundown with you."

"And the others agreed to that?" he asked as he sat up.

"Gally has everyone convinced that you're the reason all of this has happened." Teresa told him, and he nodded.

"Well, he's been right so far." he spoke, and Wendy, along with Chuck, Minho, Newt, and Teresa, all furrowed their brows and cocked their head.

"What're you talking about?" Minho asked him.

"This place, it's not what we thought it was. It's not a prison, it's a test. It all started when we were kids, they'd give us these challenges; they were experimenting on us. And then people started disappearing, every one after the other every month, like clockwork."

"Sending them up into the Maze." Newt confirmed, and Thomas nodded.

"Yeah, but not all of us." he spoke, eyes glancing over at Wendy.

Newt frowned deeper, "What do you mean?"

"Guys, I'm one of them. The people who put us here, I worked with them. I watched you guys for years, the entire time you've been here, I was on the other side of it. So were you." he told Teresa, and then looked up at the other brunette who was shocked, "You too Wendy, Isabella as well."

"What?" Wendy asked surprised, slightly stumbling back.

"We did this to them, Wendy." he whispered, "We helped them send them up. Ever since we were brought in as kids, they've had a plan for all four of us."

"No," She protested, "It can't be true."

Newt brought a hand to his mouth as Wendy ran her hand through her hair at the same time.