Dec. 28

Super short. No excuses

"Ma." I ask as I walk into the kitchen. "Can I talk to you?"

"Of course dear!" She says and puts down the dishes she was washing. "What's on your mind?"

"Do you like Mark?" I ask. "Like, you don't mind me being with him?"

"What?! Of course I like him! Why wouldn't I?"

"It's just that... Your opinion matters a lot to me and I just..." I was cut off by a high pitched squeal.

"You're going to propose aren't you?!" She whisper shouts.

"Well..." I say and rub my neck. She squeals again and pulls me to her.

"I'm so happy for you! I'm sure he'll say yes! I just know it!"

"I think he will too. It's just a big step. We've only been dating a year."

"So? What should it matter if you love him. Sure you don't have to get married but there's a certain effect to it that makes it all the more real." I nod and think about her words. I don't know why I was so adamant about getting married. I just wanted to.

"Ok. Thanks mum." She grinned and clasped her hands.

"I'm so proud of you! My little boy's all grown up!"

"What about growing up?" Mark asks as he entered the kitchen.

"Nothing!" We both say at once.

"O-k." He says skeptically. "I was just about to start getting everything packed."

"Oh. Ok. I'll join you." As I walked out behind him, I caught my mother winking at me and I smiled.