Chapter Four: Arguments and Revealed Secrets

"It looks like you had a distal radius fracture." Dr. Snow told him. I sat beside Barry on the table as she showed him the x-rays.

"Had?"

"It's healed...in three hours."

"That's awesome."

"How is that even possible?" Barry questioned.

"We don't know...yet."

"You really need to learn how to stop." Cisco told him. I grabbed his wrist, looking over it.

"What happened out there today? You were moving pretty well then something caused you to lose focus."

"I started remembering something." I put a hand on his back, urging him to look at me. He nodded.

"What?"

"When I was eleven, my mother was murdered." I took his hand, something I wouldn't do normally, but suddenly, for some reason, felt the urge to do now."It was late. The sound woke me up. I came downstairs, and...I saw what looked like a ball of lightning. Inside the lightening there was a man. H e killed my mom. They arrested my dad. He's still sitting in Iron Heights for her murder. Everyone, the cops, the shrinks, they all told me what I saw was impossible."

"You never told me that." I said quietly. "How she died."

"What if the man who killed my mom was like me?"

"Well, I think I can say unequivocally, you are one of a kind." He nodded and we left.

"Sorry I didn't tell you. It's not really something I like to talk about."

"I don't blame you. I know we've never really been that close." He stopped me, grabbing my arms and holding me in front of him.

"Maybe we should be. Closer, I mean. You've always been there for me, yet I never really told you how much I appreciate it...or much of anything about myself, really." I looped my arm through his. We started walking, when we stopped dead in out tracks. We were outside of Jitters, where we saw Iris...kissing Detective Eddie Thawne. She looked up, shocked. I opened my mouth to say something to Barry, but he just took his arm from me, sliding his hand into mine. I felt for him and gave it a reassuring squeeze. Well...as reassuring as I could. She separated herself and walked over to us.

~~~

"You can't tell my dad. He doesn't know about me and Eddie."

"Doesn't seem like anyone's in on the secret." Barry replied. I nodded in agreement.

"Yeah, I know right. Thanks best friend." I added.

"I was gonna tell you. When you two were in the hospital, Eddie covered my father's shifts so we could have one of us with both of you. I thanked him with a cup of coffee, and things just kind of happened. And it's good."

"Dating your partner's daughter? Isn't that against department regulations?" 

"Why are you so upset?"

"I just don't like having to lie to your dad." That's when, all of a sudden, Barry wrapped an arm around my waist, pulling Iris and I down behind a concrete plant holder and shielding us with his body as a squad car crashed into it. A black car pulled up and he sped off after it.

"Barry?"

"BARRY!" I yelled after him."Stay here."

"What?"

"Just stay!" I ducked around the corner, jumping up and flying after him, shielded by buildings so no one could see me. By the time I got there, the car had flipped and was skidding down the road on it's top. I watched as Mardon started away and Barry climbed out the window.

"HEY MARDON!" He turned around. Mardon? 

"What are you doing?!" I asked him. He raised his hands, and smoke began to rise all around him. It didn't look like smoke though, it looked like...clouds. Fog almost. It surrounded us, and I turned and saw a car flying towards us. I wrapped my arms around Barry's waist, power jumping and pulling him out of the way. We collapsed on the ground.

"Are you insane?!" I snapped."What were you thinking!?"

"This was Clyde Mardon." He mumbled.

"Yeah, I freaking saw him. He kind of tried to kill you." Iris ran up to us.

~~~

We watched as the EMT's hauled off the victim of the car.

"That poor man. The way that fog came in, I have never seen anything like it." Iris said.

"Yeah...me neither." I added.

"Barry! Iris! Karen..." Joe walked up to us.

"I'm fine, Dad."

"What were you two thinking having her out here?!"

"No-"

"And I told you! When you see danger, you run the other way. You're not a cop."

"Because you wouldn't let me."

"Dang right!"

"Joe, I need to talk to you." Barry told him.

"It can wait."

"No, now." Iris stepped up next to me.

"Don't think this means your off the hook." I told her.

"Karen-"

"No. Don't. This probably isn't the time for this, but how could you not tell me after I trusted you with..." She shook her head.

"I'm sorry." Our argument was cut off by another one that was happening only a few feet away.

"Ok. You wanna do this now? Out here? Fine. Mardon is dead. There is no controlling the weather, Barry. Just like there was no lightening storm in your house that night. It was your brain helping a scared little boy accept what he saw."

"My dad did not mur-"

"Yes he did! Your dad killed your mother, Barry. I am sorry, son.I knew it, the jury knew it. He's paying for what he did."

"Dad enough!"

"Iris...I've done my best to take care of you since that night and I have never asked for anything in return, not even a thank you, but what I do ask now is that you for once in your life see things as they are."

"I saw him too!" I yelled. He stopped, looking at me. Barry said nothing and walked away. I stood in front of Joe. "I don't care if you're his guardian, don't you dare talk to him that way again. Ever."

"I-"

"Just leave him alone, Joe." I snapped, chasing after him. "Barry! Barry, stop!  Just talk to me!"

"I'm going to STAR Labs. I need some answers."

"Do you want me to-"

"No! You can't help me, Karen! Just leave me alone!"

"No, Barry, no I'm not gonna leave you alone." I grabbed his arm, yanking him back. I leaned close to his face, whispering so only he could here. "I was affected by this thing to. I don't know anything about what happened to your mom, but we're in this together now, and you aren't gonna change that." He nodded, looking down at me. In the middle of my rant, I hadn't noticed how close we were.  I moved my head, the slight movement  causing our noses to brush together.  I took a step back away from him, looking down at my feet.

"Come here." He stepped closer to me, wrapping one arm around my waist, and the other, scooping my legs up.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm gonna run you there. It'll be faster."

"Are you sure you can do that?" I asked.

"Have you checked your weight since everything happened? I could throw you." I furrowed my eyebrows. "Hang on tight and it'll be fine." I wrapped my arms around is neck, bracing myself.