Chapter Twenty-three: Fine

"You gotta stop writing about these people. I mean, They don't even exist."

"I saw them, Barry. He wears a red suit, like a uniform or something, and so does she, but hers is like white spandex. She wears a white mascaraed mask and he has a lightening bolt on his chest."

"Iris, come on. You were drinking at the bar last night." I told her.

"I was not drunk, and I know what I saw. He wears a mask too. I think he smiled at me."

"Ok, first of all, if they're wearing masks, that probably means they don't want people to know who they are."

"It doesn't matter who they are, what matters is that people know that they're out there." Barry sighed. "What is wrong with you two? This is important to me. Why can't you be more supportive? I'm just...you haven't even put your name on it. I mean, how serious can you be about an anonymous blog?" She scoffed.

"You know what, our entire lives, you couldn't scream loud enough that the impossible existed, and now it's actually happening in Central City, I have proof of it, and you don't want to know about it? This is you, isn't it?" She asked me.

"Excuse me?"

"It doesn't make sense that he'd do this on his own. He's doing this for you, isn't he?"

"Of course not-"

"You're just manipulating him. Deny it all you want, but when you're ready to tell me what this whole routine is really about, then we can talk." She walked away, leaving Barry confused and me furious. Barry's phone buzzed and he answered it.

"Yeah?" He hung up. "They found her. I have to go find her."

"Go." I said, glaring at Iris.

"You gonna be ok?"

"I'm just gonna...take a walk. Cool down before I do something I'll regret." He left and I stepped outside, walking down the sidewalk. I turned into an ally. "Me? Manipulative? Really. You see, I find that ridiculous, because you've been manipulating Barry for years. You knew he liked you, and you ignored him. You're Manipulative." I ranted to no one.

"Good to know." I turned to see who else, but General Eiling. "Karen Queen. I was wondering when I'd run into you." Then, suddenly a net flew over me, knocking me to the ground. I tried to fly away, but I couldn't.  "Anti-gravity net. We've been preparing for you. Put her in the truck." I screamed, trying to fight against them, until a needle pierced my neck, rendering me unconscious.

~~~

When I woke up, I was crammed into an elevator, the STAR Labs elevator, to be exact, while General Eiling had a tight, bruise inducing grip on my arm. The door opened and they dragged me down, forcing me down on my knees.

"Dr. Wells. How the mighty have fallen."

"General."

"STAR Labs. This place used to be so important. Tell me, what does one do after such a spectacular public failure?"

"Unlike-" Before I could finish my sarcastic comment, Eiling grabbed a fistful of my hair, pulling me back and warning me to shut up.

"One adapts. One evolves. One becomes intent on reversing one's fortune."

"Always the idealist."

"What do you want, Wade?"

"Where's my asset?"

"I have no idea what you're talking about." Wells told him.

"We tracked her here, Harrison. One of yours for one of mine?" I shot him a look that said 'Don't you dare'.

"I've never seen this woman before in my life." Good job, Harrison.

"Turn her over to me before you see the rest of your palace crumble...' He yanked me to my feet by my hair, causing me to scream. "...and her with it."

'Wade, Wade, Wade."  He threw me down at Harrison's feet, just about taking a wad of my hair with him.

"We could have been great together, Harrison."  He walked past him and my phone rang. I went back up on my knees, fishing it from my pocket and answering it.

"Hello?"

"Iris posted about the streak again, with her name on it this time."

"Kinda busy right now, boyfriend. I kind of just got my hair ripped from my scalp by General Dip-wad."

"Eiling?!"

"Yeah. he found me, and kidnapped me with an anti-gravity net, then dragged me into STAR Labs by my hair, attempting to trade the girl for me."

"Oh my gosh, are you ok?"

"I'm fine."

"Is he still there?"

"Yeah. Still looking for her."

"I'm coming to get you."

"No, it's too danger-" Before I could finish my sentence I was at the landing strip we used for Barry's practice, looking up at him, his hands on my waist."...ous."

"Are you sure you're ok?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. I have a massive head-ache and some whiplash, no thanks to you, but I'm fine." He smiled.

"Who is she?" I turned to see Bette.

"It's ok, she's a friend. Another Metahuman."

"What do you do?" She asked cautiously. I floated up a couple of feet before landing next to Barry. "Uh-huh."

"Hey, can you...stay here with them? I need to go talk to Iris." Barry whispered in my ear.

"Yeah, sure thing."

"Are you sure you're ok?"

"Yes! Go!" He leaned down, kissing me before speeding off towards Central City. I turned back to Bette. "I'm Karen, by the way."

"Bette...You're lucky, you know?"

"How so?"

"I have to live the rest of my life, scared to touch another human being. You have Barry." I sighed.

"Bette...I am so sorry. We will try our best to find a way to fix this, I promise." She nodded.

~~~

I laid on my couch, a warm, rice bag over my eyes when I felt it. A gush of wind, and suddenly my feet where in someone's lap.

"Hey, Bar." I said as if it were the most casual thing in the world.

"Hey." I lifted up the rice bag, peeking at him.

"How did it go?"

"She's doing the blog for me. Not that me, this me. She said that I'm the proof that I wasn't crazy, if that makes any sense."

"Yeah, I get it." I sat up, looking at him. "What do we do?"

"There's nothing we can do right now. Just...wait, I suppose." I nodded. "How is Bette?"

"She just wants her powers to go away. Truthfully, I don't really blame her." He grabbed my ankle, pulling me closer to him. I leaned my forehead on his shoulder.

"Are you sure you're ok?" He asked. I looked at him.

"Don't do this, Barry. We promised we wouldn't do this."

"Worry? I never promised that." I sighed.

"Honestly. Eiling is nothing. I'm not afraid of him."

"You didn't answer my question." He said, looking at me suspiciously. I leaned forward, kissing him.

"I'm fine, boyfriend."

"Ok, Girlfriend."