Chapter Nine: Deaf or Just Stupid

I sat in Jitters, across from a very confused Iris in interrogation mode.

"What happened back there?!" She asked, drinking her coffee. I sighed.

"Nothing, it's just...I'm sensitive about the overprotective thing."

"What? Why?" I sighed.

"My brother." I lied. Oliver's over-protective tendencies don't bother me. I just needed an excuse if I'm going to keep this dumb thing going. The bell above the door rang, and there stood Barry. I had talked to Joe after his talk with Barry at STAR Labs, and now I was twice as ticked at him.

"I'll leave you two alone." She left, rubbing Barry's arm before he came over to me.

"So, I hear that's three people you've upset today. You really are on a roll, Allen."

"You talked to Joe?"

"Yeah, I did. Barry, I don't know what's going on with you, but if this is who you become, who these abilities make you, then I want no part of it."

"What are you talking about?"

"What do you think? Using girls to make others jealous, lying, what you said to Joe? After everything he's done for you? I don't know who the heck this is, but this is not Barry Allen." He rolled his eyes. I scoffed. "Unbelievable. You cocky freaking jerk."

"What-"

"No. I'll tell you what, don't call me, don't look at me, and sure as heck don't talk to me, unless you find Barry Allen. If not, I never want to see your stupid face again, because I've got to tell ya, I hate this person."  I walked out of Jitters. It seems that all I've been doing today is storming out of places.

~~~Barry~~~

I sat in the lab, irritated. Caitlin, Karen, and now Joe are all mad at me. Great. Joe walked into the lab.

"Come to yell at me again?" I asked.

"Simon Stagg's head of security was murdered last night. The coroner took some skin samples, and hopefully their from the killer. See if you can find a match?"

"Can't be a coincidence that Stagg's benefit was attacked last night."

"I'm going to interview Stagg now."

"I can come with you." I said.

"Your job is in here, stay in here and do it." Iris walked in as he left. I rolled my eyes.

"Hey Dad."

"Hey baby." He kissed her on the cheek and I walked across the room.

"Why is my Dad mad at you?"

"Work stuff." I replied dryly. She didn't say anything and I turned and looked at her.

"Why are you mad at me?"

"You were supposed to meet me yesterday to give me some scientific background for my article."

"And I didn't show up."

"If it weren't for Karen, I'd have to come up with another article assignment in the next twenty-four hours. She is apparently mad at you too...well, more mad."

"Iris, I-"

"Don't say your sorry, ok, I know that you are. What I don't know is what is going on with you. Karen doesn't either. We grew up one bedroom down from each other, do you honestly think that I don't know when you're happy, or sad, or depressed, or lost?" He opened a pack of sugar for her coffee. "I'm gonna ask you one last time, Barry, and you better be honest with me, then go and be honest with Karen. What the-" Everything went slow as she went to pour her sugar in her coffee, and I sped around her.

"You want to know what's happening. I'm fast now, and gosh, I just want to tell you. How I feel. How you make me feel. But I can't. Karen really is just a ploy to make you jealous."

"-heck is going on with you?" She continued. The computer beeped, and I turned around, looking at it. "We are not done talking about this."

"That's impossible." I said, looking at the DNA results. "There was a murder last night, these skin cells belong to the murderer, but these are naïve. Stem cells. They can replicate and become any cell the body needs. They only come from babies."

"This means your killer is what, a newborn?"

~~~Karen~~~
I was sitting on my couch watching Netflix when my phone rang. I rolled my eyes at the Caller ID.

"Are you deaf, or just stupid?" I asked.

"There's an armed gunman shooting up Stagg Industries."

"So? Handle it yourself, that's how the new Barry operates, right?"

"Joe is there." I sighed.

"I'll be there in ten."  I ran to my bedroom, quickly changing into my clothes, flipping on my regulator and flying to Stagg Industries. When I got there, I heard gun shots. I saw three versions of one man walking towards some green barrels, shooting. "Sorry to bust up the party boys." They turned around. There was a flash of yellow light, and suddenly Barry had all of their guns and was looking down at someone.

"Go."

"No." Joe said. And then, he was gone. He zoomed back in front of them.

"Whoever you are, give yourself up."

"Sorry. We're not going anywhere-"

"Until Simon Stagg is dead." They all said together. Barry threw two of them to the side, but two more replaced them. I held out my hands in shock, and suddenly, all three of them went flying backwards. I turned to Barry, who looked shocked.

"Did you do that?" He shook his head. Then there were five of them, ambushing us from all sides. One grabbed my hair, slamming my head into the ground, while two others kicked me in the ribs and the face. Blood gushed from my mouth, and I could already feel the bruises forming. Then, we were outside. I laid back on the ground, spitting blood out on the gravel. Barry leaned against the fence, his face cut up and bloody. Considering he heals fast, his wounds were far less severe than mine.

"You ok?" He asked. I spit some more blood out to the side.

"Fan-freaking-tastic."