Chapter Twenty-Seven: Yellow Humvee

~~~Iris~~~

To understand what I'm about to tell you, you need to do something first. You need to believe in the impossible. Can you do that? Good. Because all of us, we have forgotten what miracles look like. Maybe because they haven't made much of an appearance lately. Our lives have become ordinary. But there is someone out there who is truly extraordinary. Well, someones.  I don't know where you came from. I don't know your names. But I have seen you two do the impossible to protect the city I love. So, for those of us who believe in you, and what you're doing, I just wanna say: Thank you."   I published the blog, and then, just like that, I was on the roof.

"You're welcome." The Streak's warbled voice said. I smiled.

"How did you...I literally just hit send."

"Speed reading."

"It's crazy what you can do to your voice." There was a swoosh of wind, and suddenly, the woman  in white was floating above me.

"You shouldn't be here." She said, presumably to the Streak. Her voice was disguised somehow.

"You need to stop writing your blog." He continued.

"People need to know that you both exist." My phone buzzed. Eddie's face appeared on the screen, but I ignored it. "What else can you do?" he sped around me and she floated down to his side, their fasces hidden in the shadows.

"This isn't an interview." She said.

"Come on, you gotta give me something. Hobbies, pet peeves, favorite color. Wait scratch that last one. Red and white. Duh. Obviously."

"You're not hearing us." He said.

"My hearing is fine, it's just selective. What should I call you?"

"Anything but the streak and Woman in White."

"Fine. Suggestions?"

"You said you were writing about us to bring hope to someone you care about...How would he feel if doing that put you in harm's way?"

"He and I aren't exactly on the same page these days." I told them. "Besides, you two are giving hope to a lot of people, so I'm doing this for them." They both stopped upon hearing to police sirens.

"Duty calls. Gotta fly." She told me. They left.

"Wait! You can't just leave me up..." I was back in the coffee shop. "Wow."

~~~Karen~~~

"You really shouldn't have gone to see her again." I told him, flying beside him.

"I'm trying to get her to stop."

"Really?! Cause all you've managed to do is make her will to right about us even stronger." We saw a yellow Humvee speeding towards a kid.

"Sir! Out of the way! Out of the way!" Joe yelled. I sped down, scooping him up and  putting him on the side of the road. The Humvee continued to speed right for Eddie. I flew over, shoving him out of the way. The Humvee crashed right into me, sending me to the ground. The Car rolled over me, and Barry crouched over me.

"Go! I'm fine! Go!" He gave me a pained look before speeding off I attempted to set up, wincing as my arm gave out beneath me. It was definitely broken. "Gosh dang it!" I flew into the air, speeding back to STAR Labs. When I got there, Barry was on the floor, his lip bleeding. "Barry! Oh my gosh!"

"Barry?! Karen?!" Caitlin, Cisco, and Dr. Wells came into the room.

"Are you guys ok?"

~~~

"Thirteen fractures. That's a new record. And that's just in your hand. You, as well as Karen, have a concussion, cracked ribs, and a bruised spleen. Even with your powers, you'll need a few hours to heal, and Karen, will need, days, maybe weeks."

"What exactly did you hit?"

"A Humvee traveling about one hundred miles per hour. Barry?"

"A man. A big, bad man. His skin changed when I hit him. Like, it turned to metal. Interesting. A man of steel."

"So you two went after a meta-human alone?" Cisco asked. "Dude, why didn't you call us?"

"We didn't know what he was." I said, holding an ice-pack to my head.

"Besides, we were...off duty."

"Yeah, Barry, who's fault was that?!' I asked.

"Lucky he didn't knock out your teeth. Those puppies don't grow back."

"The strange thing is, I feel like I knew him." Barry said. I sat down beside him.

"What do you mean?"

"He said something that was familiar. But he's gonna hurt someone if we don't stop him, So how do I fight a guy that's made of steel?"

"We will find a way. Tonight, you both heal."

"Yeah. Karen..." Barry scooted over and I climbed onto the bed next to him, laying on the side that's ribs weren't broken. "I'm sorry you got hurt." I shrugged.

"It's fine. I probably should have moved, but I couldn't risk going with Eddie when I brought him to the ground. He might of recognized me."

"So rather than let Eddie recognize you, you got plowed over by a Humvee?" I nodded.

'Yeah, it does sound kind of silly, doesn't it?" I laughed leaning my forehead against his chest. "Hey Barry?"

"Yeah?"

"I think you need to stop going to see Iris as the streak."  He nodded, kissing the top of my head.

"I will...I promise."

"So how're you  feeling?"

"Like I got hit by a truck. You know all about that." He smirked.

"Shut up!" His face went serious for a second.

"But really, next time, just get out of the way. Your life is more important than if someone recognizes you. Ok?" I nodded.  

"Yeah...probably a good plan. Oh man, I'm gonna take so much longer for me to heal than you." I groaned.

"It's ok. I'll take care of you." I rolled my eyes.

"That's so unbelievably cheesy."

"But you love it." I sighed.

"Yeah, I really do. You're gonna be the death of me, Barry Allen."

"Are you sure it won't be a Humvee?"

"I would punch you if it wouldn't hurt so much." He pressed his lips lightly to mine, to avoid hurting both of us.  I curled into his chest, at an angle that wouldn't hurt either of us. I fell asleep that way...