Chapter Thirty-Nine: The Man in Yellow

MEANWHILE...

~~~Barry~~~

There was a robbery we were investigating at Mercury Labs. I was talking to Joe about the bodies when Eddie came over.

"Get this. The witness says all he saw was a blur. Sound familiar?" Joe and I made eye contact and headed over to the scientist.

"You saw a blur? What-what was it?" I asked.

"Whatever it was it was looking for something."

"What did it look like?"

"Agh...like a man...in some kind of yellow suit." I went to leave, but Joe stopped me.

"I have to check my files.  Joe, you heard him. The man that killed my mom, he's back. "

"I know. He's been in town for a few weeks now. He paid a visit to me at the house. He took all the evidence from your mom's case. The files are gone."

"Why wouldn't you tell me this sooner?"

"I couldn't. "

"Why?"

"Because he threatened to kill Iris." Joe said slowly. Anger filled me."I'm gonna call Karen."

"No." I said.

"Don't you think she should be here for this?"

"She is always changing her plans around me. Not this time. Let her enjoy Christmas."

"Ok, but if she gets back and hears that you didn't tell her, she's not gonna be happy. She did just forgive you yesterday." I sighed.

"I know."

~~~

We headed to STAR Labs to tell the others.

"The witness described seeing a yellow blur. Just like the one that killed Barry's mother. "

"Then we need to get crackin' and stop this speed psycho." Cisco said, sticking a candy cane in his mouth.

"That-I wasn't trying to give him a name."

"The crime scene at Mercury Labs was on a floor with highly secured vaults, and the witness said he was looking for something." I reasoned.

"Whatever it was, he wanted it badly enough to kill for it." Dr. Wells added. Joe asked him:

"Dr. What do you know about this Mercury Labs?"

"Mercury was one of STAR Labs' major competitors until our little setback and then it catapulted to the forefront led by..." He pulled up a picture on the monitor,"Dr. Christina McGee, brilliant but egocentric physicist."

"Says here, Dr. McGee has secured half a billion dollars in private funding to develop, and I quote, 'prototypes for the technology of the future'."  Cisco read.

"Well I'll be. Tina's messing with Tachyons. Superluminal particles."

"Of course. So, what could someone do with one of those..." Joe gestured to Dr. Wells for the word.

"Tachyons."

"Thank you."

"Well, I don't know. Become invincible? If you could devise a matrix stable enough to harness their power, you could...travel faster than light."

"He's gonna try to get them again. So, we need to get what Mercury has and use it as a lure."

"Exactly right. Cisco, Caitlin, start engineering a trap, and someone needs to call Karen."